iPhone5 radically different or just minor updated i4 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I am sure there have been a hundred of these posts, but I don't read this forum too much being a "nexus" owner. Currently running a rooted Nexus-S 4G on Sprint and love it, before that the Nexus-One, and then the iPhone3G and iPhone1, open to the idea of coming back to the iPhone5 if it is a big upgrade ?

Do you think the iPhone5 will be the biggest update ever for the iPhone series ? To me that would mean; a larger screen...LED notification light...thinner with better battery life...released on Sprint finally...New design and not the iPhone4 style...

Or are we looking at a similar phone to the current iPhone4 just with dual cores, and the new iOS5 features only.

I am surprised by the lack of leaks so close to the supposed October release just a month away. Either Apple is crazy good at keeping the i5 a top secret device, or it is so much like the iPhone4 we could have seen it in the wild already and not even know ?

I know none of us truly know what is coming out soon, but what do you honestly expect we are getting ?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not official details have been anounced so your answer is as good as anyone elses

3. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

For me to leave the "Nexus" brand and come back to an iPhone, I want these new features; #1; larger screen but not too big...#2; LED notification light would be nice...#3; better battery life would be great...#4; thinner is great...#5; Widgets would be awesome, but not expecting that.

The iPhone5 would be the first release that took longer than the typical 12 month cycle, to me I would hope that extra 4 months means they are creating a MAJOR updated iPhone, not just something like the iPhone3GS compared to the iPhone3G.

4. twitt3r macrumors 6502

I know, let's all look into our crystal ball and see what the next iPhone will look like and sport in terms of features... :rolleyes: Even if it had a larger (but not too large) screen, notification light, was thinner and had better battery, that's not exactly radical, is it?

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Try reading a few posts in this forum and you'll see all the current speculation.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

widgets are in iOS 5 no confirmation on what kind but right now it will have weather and stocks widgets for sure

7. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool :cool: I like the "News + Weather" widget on stock Android OS for the home screen, hopefully iPhone5 has something similar, without the need to jailbreak to get Widgets.

----------

Actually for Apple that would be radical. A larger screen would be big news, and being even thinner but with better battery life would also be a big deal.

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

...speculation which basically amounts to "no one definitively knows anything about anything." /thread

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

No one knows for sure yet. But the rumours are pointing toward a slightly bigger screen, thinner, better battery life, notification light. So you might be getting what you want.

10. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope you are right :) Now we just need Sprint to officially get this bad boy and I will be in line day one.

11. auxsend macrumors regular

I have had my 3gs for 2 years. I am dying for the new iPhone. But if it is just a reworked 4, I'm going droid.

I really want the iPhone 5 to be something awesome. I'm just not holding my breath.

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Might as well add T-Mobile while we're at it. Then I'm game for a release day iPhone.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If your talking in terms of the history of the iPhone, then YES, these changes would be considered radical.

14. aohus macrumors 68000

iphone 5 will be out for all 4 carriers in the u.s

its going to be the thinnest smartphone in the market

it will most likely be using LG's AH-IPS display, as Apple had used LG displays in the past with their iPhone 4 for instance.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

People who own a Nexus don't know how to search?

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

The 3G->3GS is the biggest update yet :eek: . Sure, the iPhone 4 has a new design and a retina display, but the difference in usability (speed, snappiness) between the 3G and 3GS is much bigger than the between the 4 and 3GS. The 3GS is still al very usable phone these days, in contrast to the 3G which is just unbearably slow.

17. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Honestly I think it can go either way. The rumors suggest at a hardware redesign. John Gruber of Daring Fireball essentially said on his podcast, "I don't think Apple would just do a spec update after 15 months". So I'm essentially hoping/banking on a larger screen, etc.

But.....

The iPhone 4 is such a hot seller (still) that Apple could probably just release a spec update and still remain in the number 1 spot (in the US at least). However at the same time I don't think anyone with a brain would object to a 4" retina display. Also I'm reading a lot of MR members chiming in that they might go Android if iPhone 5 is indeed a spec update.

Personally I think the current hardware looks dated and is due for a change. My hope is a 4" retina display, 64 GB model, and a different backing. Glass is WAY too slippery and prone to cracking if dropped.

I think Apple has been super careful about leaking any details just yet (aside from losing yet another prototype recently). Notice how all the iPhone 5 rumors are almost all based on cases being made in China. I bet we won't see any solid rumors until a week before the next event. (Unless you count this iPhone icon as proof.)

18. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

If apple is taking longer then normal to release its next iPhone product, it should be a decent step up over all for the entire platform :D