iPhone5 screen unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RP84, Sep 21, 2012.

1. RP84, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

RP84 macrumors newbie

Hi All

I hope someone can help.

Received my iphone5 today however its stuck on the slide to unlock screen. Anything i do the screen wont work.

I tried restoring it, holding down power and home key etc but still no luck.

i left it alone and then when i came back it unlocked. So i activated it using the phone etc. Locked it and now its back to square one.

I then rang apple care and they told me to do a restore so did that and still not working. I have requested a call back tomorrow to see what options i have next.

The question i want to know is will i have any success swapping the phone in store tomorrow morning ? As i imagine they will have stock but people will be queuing again.

Thanks

2. polyeric macrumors newbie

Same here. I have dead spots on my screen and I can't get through registration. This is my first iPhone and so far not impressed.

I'm going to try to take it to an apple store to trouble shoot.

3. RP84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its good to know someone else has the issue as i cant find any threads on this..

Are you in the uk or else where ?

4. RobNYC macrumors 6502

Crap, the display won't light up anymore. It seems to be on but the display won't light up now. ****, now of course it happens now and I won't be able to do anything about it until tomorrow when I go to an AT&T store. Even then I'll probably have to activate the old phone until I can get this replaced.

5. polyeric macrumors newbie

I'm in the US.

Wife's new iphone seems to work just fine but mine is giving me issues.

The odd thing is when I plugged the phone into my computer the phone was much more responsive and parts of the screen that didn't work now work again.. When I unplug it the screen gets unresponsive again. I tried to go to the apple store but the line was out the door so figured I would wait until the line died down...

How do you reset the phone?

6. aliman5000 macrumors newbie

Hi...AT LAST! Someone ELSE has this issue!!!

Happened to me yesterday afternoon, but of course with it being a new device there was nothing to search for online. I'm just glad I'm not the only one!

I'm in the UK and plan on going to Apple, as the phone shop I got mine from (3) won't have stock until October.

Basically exactly the same symptoms, the screen stops working when you lock the phone, can't swipe to unlock, can't swipe to turn off, music controls appear but you can't use them.

I have found that hard resetting around ten times can sometimes let you unlock, but if you lock again...you guessed it, the touch screen stops working!

I have of course reset, rebooted, restored as new phone, restored from backup, all with the same result.

Interestingly this started as soon as I charged the phone for the first time. I wonder if the new connector somehow fried something? It is like the phone doesn't realise the screen has been activated.

I would say its hardware, but if that's the case why would you, very occasionally, be able to make it work?

I don't have a 'Genius' appointment, I'm just going to have to make the right noises when I get there!

7. RP84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know as i bought mine online, will apple store in UK change the product ?

hassel i didn't really need right now

Let me know how you get on.. Which apple store you going to ?

8. aliman5000 macrumors newbie

I don't think it matters where you bought it, it is an Apple device. You will struggle more getting seen without an appointment, of which there are none at most stores until Wednesday!

And I can't tell you where I'm going, you might get there first and take the last replacement!!

...I'm kidding, Leicester is the closest to me.

9. RP84 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha.. I live in leicester.. waiting till 9 to call them

10. aliman5000 macrumors newbie

It's pointless calling, you can check/book online.

Just rock up and demand to get your phone fixed or replaced. Making sure the issue is there of course!

See you there :)

11. RP84 thread starter macrumors newbie

what time you getting there ?

12. aliman5000 macrumors newbie

probably between 11-12, in all seriousness it would be good to have some additional ammo.

Someone with the same issue would do nicely!

13. RP84 thread starter macrumors newbie

All sorted. swapped it, turned out to be faulty and then they got anther replacement

i told them someone else will be coming in with similar issue.

14. aliman5000 macrumors newbie

Same here!

Glad you got it sorted.