iPhone5S is scratch prone like iPhone5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thierry ba, Oct 10, 2013.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why wouldn't it be, its basically the same phone, just with some internal improvements.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Did it come like this or has it occurred since your brought it?

3. Thierry ba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its not my phone, saw it on another forum. Owner says he hasnt dropped the phone.

4. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

5. aixporter macrumors member

aixporter

if you look at the iphone 5s on display at the apple store, most of them have the same scratches around the pin connector area. nothing is scratch proof in this world. only metal is more obvious than plastic when scratched.

the previous slate color reveals scratches more easily than the current gray.

6. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

That's why I got a bumper case from elago, best case I've had so far!

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why would one expect it to not scratch? If material A is harder than material B then material B will scratch. The iPhone's coating isn't made from the hardest material out there so it can scratch. The anodizing is on the surface so scratches will show.

8. D3TSURA macrumors member

This is one of the reasons why I glad that I had ordered the Silver iPhone 5 on launch day last year and the reason why I stuck with Silver for the 5s.

The Slate/Space Gray is very sleek but when it has a lot of scratches like that, it takes away from the beauty of the phone.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Ummm….there was no silver iPhone 5!

And to the OP, yes, scratching will happen. That really looks like something hard rubbed against that edge.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I'd say it's a new phone in the same case. But I digress.

11. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

Yes there was? White and silver.

12. ipodsnacks macrumors newbie

This is not a shock. It's the iPhone 5. All you bought was the chips and the new home button.

13. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yeah, that was considered the white one.

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Tell them to not put his phone in his pocket with his car keys!:eek:

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I guess it comes down to how we define a scratch. My iPhone 5 has this, but I've never seen it as a scratch. I just see it as normal wear over time (it happened over time, not all at once).

A scratch to me is when an object scrapes another object and the resulting mark left is a scratch. This is the paint wearing off, a scuff if you want to go that far.

My iPhone 5 does not have any scratches on it, but it does have several places where the paint has worn off.

Semantics I guess.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's identical, same material, just a slightly different color, so YES it could happen.

I strongly recommend the white, where scuffs are less visible (like my iPhone 5), but in some areas, like the photo shows, it could happen.

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

We'll dah.

You should have gone for the undercoat and rust proof. ;)

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

as others said, did anyone expect something different? They used the same materials and anodizing process.

19. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

In your pockets lives these particles called dust and sand. These particles do more damage to your phones than anything south of a diamond. It doesn't matter what material your current phone is made out of. If you out it in your pocket it will be scratched. You can have it in a otter box and if there is sand inside it will scratch it.

Attached Files:

20. swish2351 macrumors 6502

DUST? Dust can't scratch anything

SAND? Why would there be sand in your pockets? We don't live on beaches

21. D3TSURA macrumors member

Oh, I'm sorry...White. The white iPhone 5 is exactly the same as the silver 5s.

22. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I must be unusual, I had 2 white iPhone 5's, both started showing wear and tear within a week or so, I've had a grey 5s since launch day, it is still immaculate and has been pocket carried naked most of the time, it's also been charged many nights and clipped into a car bracket with car charger on some days to use as a dashcam.

Somehow, with my usage, the grey 5s is far less prone to scratching and wear, personally I would say the finish is hardier, and less prone to wear.

23. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No problem, wasn't sure if you weren't really familiar with them, or just meant the white one. :)

I saw the white/silver 5s in the Sprint store last weekend, first time I've ever gotten to see one… this store had very bad lighting, so I actually couldn't form an opinion of it.

24. abz1981 macrumors 65816