Iphone6 for long distance runners/cross country skiing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EsspeN, Nov 3, 2014.

1. EsspeN macrumors newbie

Hello!

I havent owned a iphone in a really really long time. I think i had one of the first ones but have been a android user after that.

I am a long distance runner and I do both ski and run one till two times a day. Often in cold confitions like -20 celsius / -4 fahrenheit.

Ive been a owner of Samsung Galaxy s2, S3 and im now using the S4. This phone is not even the waterresistant model but just the normal one. Still, it has never failed me in any condition and none of my phones have ever been damaged because of humidity, snow, rain or my sweathy pockets.

Since both my laptops are macs and because of the yosemite/ios integration I really want to do the transition. I have never considered the iphone untill it came with the 4.6" screen that im opting for.

However.... I am very concerned about using the iphone in sweathy/cold conditions. I have many friends that own iphone 4 and 5 and the phones just turn off when we are out skiing because it cant handle the cold conditions.. that makes me think it wont stand up with much humidity either when I have it in my pocket out running.

Ive been looking into some waterproof cases, but I dont know how much bulk they will add.

I would like feedback from runners that use their phones in cold/hot/sweathy conditions and how they phones are holding up.

Thank you.

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

I went skiing with my iPhone 5 a couple of times and the phone didn't shut down.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Cold and humidity are two very different things as I'd think you're aware.

It's common for battery operated stuff to have trouble in extreme cold; the usual solution is to keep the item in an inner pocket. I don't know of any particular difference that would make one phone behave differently from another; choice of pocket (inner vs outer) is much more likely to affect things.

Humidity / sweat is solved with a plastic sandwich bag. On the rare occasions I carry my phone when running I simply put it in a snack size ziplock bag before putting it in the pouch on my Amphipod hydration belt. July in the SouthEast exposes a phone to far more moisture than it'd see during cold weather exercise. :)

4. hagr182 macrumors regular

I have been running with my trusty 4S for three years now and I can say iPhones are well suited for running, though a case is recommended..... as with any phone.

When space is a concern I take off the case and put the phone on a plastic bag inside my running waistpack ( I hate armbands for some reason). So far so good, been under mid race cool off sprinklers with no problems at all, (though I do make sure the phone is properly sealed in).

Recently I went and bought the phone a lifeproof case, those do not add that much bulk and if installed properly make your phone survive almost anything (My poor phone went flying out of my cycling bag once and was left on my swimsuit as I trained with no damage at all).

So yeah, iPhones are great for sports.

Im about to upgrade my phone to either a 6 or 6 plus and Im concerned about the size, so Im gonna go ahead and ask you, how are those galaxy phones for running (being that they are similar sized to the new iphones)?