iPhone6 plus compatible exoskeleton, machined Aluminium

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jerrahh, Oct 16, 2014.

1. jerrahh macrumors regular

2. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

who is "they"? unless the maker found a way to get around physics, that all aluminum case will affect signal, I don't care what anyone says. Plenty of these case makers going back to i5 and i4 have said the same thing, but in real life usage, it did and does affect signal. its simple physics.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

looks like the case isn't covering the signal lines on the back. not sure what that will do though.

4. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

The plastic lines aren't antennae. The aluminum parts are and they are separated by the non conductive plastic. This case most certainly covers antennae and adversely effects they're function.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I'm not sure where in my post it says that the lines are antennae.

6. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

When you said signal "lines" it implied to me you were referring to the only lines on the back which are the plastic ones. When you referred to them as signal lines it implies that the signal passes thru them or comes from them. It doesn't sound like they are insulators between antennae.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. I believe there are a large number of people out there that think the lines are the antennae.

That being clarified this case covers the perimeter antennae pretty much completely producing a barrier to a signal getting to those antennae,

7. Mosco macrumors regular

Are you sure the aluminum is actually an antenna? I assumed the reason the line breaks were so big was because the antennas were actually under the casing of the phone, which is different than the iPhone 5/5S.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6+Teardown/29213

8. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't even care if this didn't effect signal, which is most likely does it looks ugly.

9. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

This drawing shows a note saying do not contact metal phone parts with metal
    http://bulletblogbyjakee.blogspot.com/2014/09/apple-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus.html.

This means the metal parts are antennae. The iPhone 4 stainless steel bands were the antennae. Therefore if you bridged them with your hand they were detuned. Since then Apple has used the exterior metal parts for antennae.

If the plastic represents the antenna location why would the brief aluminum bumpers like the Spigen aluminum bumpers destroy reception. They don't cover the plastic strips they cover the perimeter aluminum band and kill the signal. Look at the Amazon reviews of the Spigen metal bumper. They are full of complaints about signal issues.

10. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

well, when i get my beta unit ill come back and say how signal is.

11. Mosco macrumors regular

I see the note, but then there are comments like this https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6+Plus+Teardown/29206 that say:

And they even provide pictures of the internal antennas.

12. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

In the Ifixit video I did not see internal antennae. Were you referring to the HTC M8?

I'm not going to say I'm an Apple design engineer but someones got to show me more proof than you have that i"m wrong.

13. Mosco macrumors regular

I didn't want watch the video, but if you look at step 18,24,25 they show antennas. That doesn't mean that it isn't impossible that Apple is using the aluminum as an antenna, but at least some of its radios don't.

14. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

You have me wavering now. Those referenced pictures show either the antennae or the leads to the metal parts that serve that purpose. So i'm half way there and I hope metal cases that don't destroy signal are possible. I only know one successful company. That's Element Case. They are a little to complex but I resist plastic cases.

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Wow, talk about an ugly case. Who would want it anyway?

16. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

Good Point

17. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

"Affect" not "Effect".

"Affect Alters"

Sorry, the A/E switch is my kryptonite.

18. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

I'm pretty sure the plastic lines are the antennas, encased in plastic. If you look at leaked case photos, it's obvious that the plastic lines are only inset, they do not electrically seperate sections of case.

Furthermore if the case was the antenna, then holding it would attenuate the signal, just like it did for the iPhone 4.

Anyways, about this case, it most definitely WILL attenuate signal and it's butt ugly to boot.

19. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

If Spell Checker didn't catch it, it didn't happen.

----------

I thought the antennae were relocated so they weren't bridged when held, like the change from the 4 to the 4s. Oh well, live and learn.

20. jerrahh thread starter macrumors regular

i see the word ugly tossed around here. some people don't care what the phone looks like, its a damn phone not a car or a really expensive ring or clothes, usefulness over finish is what a lot of people are looking for hence why otterbox sells so many cases. if you are really worried about what some random ******* on the street will say about your case or it bothers you that much how your phone looks you have priority problems.