iPHONE6 silicon or leather casse

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Just as a point of reference, while the Apple leather case may be more attractive the Silicon Apple case adds more grip-ability. Its a tough choice…Safety or beauty

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
XD. You mean silicone. Silicon is sand.

And another point goes to the leather for being easier to slide in and out of pockets. The silicone may actually be too grippy. Got mine on launch day without having seen them in person. Went back to the Apple Store today and they had all the colors on demo, and I think I made the right decision going with the leather.

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
The leather has a light natural texture to it, so it grips well while being stylish. I love the Midnight Blue one on my Space Gray +

Subjugator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
I just got the black leather for my space gray 6+. So far I love it. Feels and looks great. Only time will tell how durable it is I guess

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Considering the leather case myself, right now I just bought a cheap plastic case from Bestbuy...which works fine.
At least the bottom is protected, with the Apple case the bottom is exposed to scuffs...not too thrilled about that...especially for a $50 case.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
The leather cases are gorgeous,i was very tempted by the midnight blue for my gold plus.
I ended up with the silicon case due to its durability and grip.
I may still end up with a leather case just because beautiful.

munkydust

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Just as a point of reference, while the Apple leather case may be more attractive the Silicon Apple case adds more grip-ability. Its a tough choice…Safety or beauty
I'd agree with that assessment. My leather case for my 6 is pretty slick when my hands are dry. My wife has the silicone case for her 5c, and it is pretty grippy all the time.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I prefer the silicone case as it is much grippier on my iPhone 6+. For the iPhone 6, I would probably go for the leather.

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
I have a black leather and a red silicone. I agree the silicone is more grippy but The downside is that I have found it is much more difficult to slip in and out of my pocket (6 plus). They're both nice cases though.

shr631

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
I have a couple of both, leather and silicone, and I have to say both are nice. Had a tough time deciding between the midnight blue leather and black silicone on my SG 6. I settled on silicone yesterday but only after a pros/cons exercise, not because I prefer one over the other.

Question: will Apple's silicone become too slippery after a few weeks' exposure to hand oils etc? It's already very "silky" as it is...

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
I got the gray silicone this morning. Despite what Apple calls it, it isn't black. All the same I love it. I didn't like how easily the leather would scratch and scuff and I really like the feel of the silicone. I didn't want a case at all because I loved the phone as it was but one week in and it fell out of my pocket and got scuffed up so I decided to get a case this morning. Went to Apple store and tried both black leather and gray silicone and it wasn't even a debate, I much preferred the gray silicone for its cleaner look. The leather feels great and if you like a darker black with a smooth feel the leather is the way to go. Either are great.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I had the red leather case, but returned it after the leather started peeling after only a week of use. I picked up the red & black silicone cases and am hoping they last.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
ONE tiny ding made the leather tear. I returned both leather cases and picked up the Silicon cases. The grip is better, and feel more "premium" to me than the leather. Changing the leather material this time was a huge mistake.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I have the brown leather for my gold phone but that blue looks sweet with the gold as well...slides out my pocket nicely, I think the silicone will attract lint and not slide as easily

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
No I've not got that issue. I had the same case on my 5S for a year and that was fine as well. Has it got wet? I'd get it swapped.
I had the case for my 5S, as well, and it never had that problem.

With the 6's case, it's not like I've taken it in the shower or even in the rain, but it might up touched the condensation from the bottom of a glass. The 5S case never had any problem with that, but this one seems to act like a sponge. If it touches even the slightest amount of moisture, it soaks it all in and creates these 'blisters'.

rhenzhen

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2010
Just purchased Apple iPhone 6+ RED Silicone Case at apple store today. I want the light blue color but apple store don't have in stock. I got the red one instead. Really looks nice with my iPhone 6+ Silver, but it looks much better with Space Gray.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Upstate NY
Does anyone have one of the lighter colors (white or blue) and can report about if they look dirty or dingy after normal use?

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I had the case for my 5S, as well, and it never had that problem.

With the 6's case, it's not like I've taken it in the shower or even in the rain, but it might up touched the condensation from the bottom of a glass. The 5S case never had any problem with that, but this one seems to act like a sponge. If it touches even the slightest amount of moisture, it soaks it all in and creates these 'blisters'.
Are the blisters permanent? Or do they go away/diminish after a while? The grain on the 6/6 Plus case leather definitely seems a bit finer than the one on the 5S case as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.