iPHONE6 silicon or leather casse

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bushman4, Sep 28, 2014.

1. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Just as a point of reference, while the Apple leather case may be more attractive the Silicon Apple case adds more grip-ability. Its a tough choice…Safety or beauty

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

XD. You mean silicone. Silicon is sand.

And another point goes to the leather for being easier to slide in and out of pockets. The silicone may actually be too grippy. Got mine on launch day without having seen them in person. Went back to the Apple Store today and they had all the colors on demo, and I think I made the right decision going with the leather.

3. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

The leather has a light natural texture to it, so it grips well while being stylish. I love the Midnight Blue one on my Space Gray +

4. Subjugator macrumors regular

I just got the black leather for my space gray 6+. So far I love it. Feels and looks great. Only time will tell how durable it is I guess

5. thecore762 macrumors regular

Considering the leather case myself, right now I just bought a cheap plastic case from Bestbuy...which works fine.
    At least the bottom is protected, with the Apple case the bottom is exposed to scuffs...not too thrilled about that...especially for a $50 case.

6. Benny- macrumors regular

Benny-

The leather cases are gorgeous,i was very tempted by the midnight blue for my gold plus.
    I ended up with the silicon case due to its durability and grip.
    I may still end up with a leather case just because beautiful.

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Leather = Murder :(

Oh c'mon! somebody had to be that guy! :p

8. munkydust macrumors member

I'd agree with that assessment. My leather case for my 6 is pretty slick when my hands are dry. My wife has the silicone case for her 5c, and it is pretty grippy all the time.

9. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I prefer the silicone case as it is much grippier on my iPhone 6+. For the iPhone 6, I would probably go for the leather.

10. SidBoggle macrumors regular

I have a black leather and a red silicone. I agree the silicone is more grippy but The downside is that I have found it is much more difficult to slip in and out of my pocket (6 plus). They're both nice cases though.

11. shr631 macrumors regular

I have a couple of both, leather and silicone, and I have to say both are nice. Had a tough time deciding between the midnight blue leather and black silicone on my SG 6. I settled on silicone yesterday but only after a pros/cons exercise, not because I prefer one over the other.

Question: will Apple's silicone become too slippery after a few weeks' exposure to hand oils etc? It's already very "silky" as it is...

12. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Is it true that the leather case is thinner and less bulky than the silicone case?

13. SidBoggle macrumors regular

I just held them together and in all dimensions they look identical to me.

14. brendu macrumors 68020

I got the gray silicone this morning. Despite what Apple calls it, it isn't black. All the same I love it. I didn't like how easily the leather would scratch and scuff and I really like the feel of the silicone. I didn't want a case at all because I loved the phone as it was but one week in and it fell out of my pocket and got scuffed up so I decided to get a case this morning. Went to Apple store and tried both black leather and gray silicone and it wasn't even a debate, I much preferred the gray silicone for its cleaner look. The leather feels great and if you like a darker black with a smooth feel the leather is the way to go. Either are great.

15. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I had the red leather case, but returned it after the leather started peeling after only a week of use. I picked up the red & black silicone cases and am hoping they last.

16. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

ONE tiny ding made the leather tear. I returned both leather cases and picked up the Silicon cases. The grip is better, and feel more "premium" to me than the leather. Changing the leather material this time was a huge mistake.

17. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

I have the brown leather for my gold phone but that blue looks sweet with the gold as well...slides out my pocket nicely, I think the silicone will attract lint and not slide as easily

18. heyyoudvd macrumors regular

Is anyone else having this problem with the leather case?

[​IMG]

19. SidBoggle macrumors regular

No I've not got that issue. I had the same case on my 5S for a year and that was fine as well. Has it got wet? I'd get it swapped.

20. heyyoudvd macrumors regular

I had the case for my 5S, as well, and it never had that problem.

With the 6's case, it's not like I've taken it in the shower or even in the rain, but it might up touched the condensation from the bottom of a glass. The 5S case never had any problem with that, but this one seems to act like a sponge. If it touches even the slightest amount of moisture, it soaks it all in and creates these 'blisters'.

21. rhenzhen macrumors member

Just purchased Apple iPhone 6+ RED Silicone Case at apple store today. I want the light blue color but apple store don't have in stock. I got the red one instead. Really looks nice with my iPhone 6+ Silver, but it looks much better with Space Gray.

22. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use the leather case on my iPhone 6 plus with no blisters and find it adds plenty of grip.

23. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

Does anyone have one of the lighter colors (white or blue) and can report about if they look dirty or dingy after normal use?

24. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Are the blisters permanent? Or do they go away/diminish after a while? The grain on the 6/6 Plus case leather definitely seems a bit finer than the one on the 5S case as well.