iPhone's ActiveSync over USB.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mingisback, Mar 13, 2008.

1. mingisback macrumors regular

So part of the ActiveSync spec seems to offer syncing to the desktop.

"ActiveSync is a synchronization program developed by Microsoft. It allows a mobile device to be synchronized with either a desktop PC, or a server running Microsoft Exchange Server, PostPath Email and Collaboration Server, Kerio MailServer or Z-push." - from Wikipedia

I work in Ford IT and know the iPhone will not get network approval to our Exchange Servers. So... I was hoping that the iPhone's ActiveSync would support syncing to the desktop.

From what I've seen so far... Apple has only touted Push Mail, ect. over air.

I'm really hoping they add this feature for us iPhone owners that don't have open minded corporate environments.

2. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Well, chances are if you're using Exchange, you're using Outlook, correct? The iPhone already supports syncing from Outlook, so if your Exchange info is populated into Outlook, your Outlook info can be populated into the iPhone.

Be veeeeeery careful about this, though. A lot of firms want to be able to control computers and handhelds that contain company information on them, even if it's just email. I wouldn't even do that without express permission from some higher-ups.

3. mingisback thread starter macrumors regular

I have a Mac at home... and a PC at work.

Is there a way to sync my Outook Cal at work and not have it affect my iPhone syncing with iTunes at home on my mac?

I was under the impression that PC users also used iTunes to sync... and this would most likely whipe my music off the iPhone... correct?

4. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

This is correct. You will be unable to sync your iPhone with two different computers.

There is software that would get your calendar from Outlook->Google Calendar and from Google Calendar to iCal, but again, I wouldn't go that route without express permission from your company. I doubt Ford would want that information working through three different external data sources, and even then, you're still limited to calendar.

Without over-the-air syncing from Exchange that's allowed by your company, I think you'll be out of luck.

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

This is NOT true

Yes, you can sync on two different computers but you have to select different options.

When you set up iTunes to sync at work...you will only select calender and contacts to sync and disable music, videos...etc.

At home you will diable the calender/contacts sync options and enable the music/video.

You just can not sync the same area on two different computers...i.e. You can not sync music on both computers.

Hope this helps you out.

6. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Well, his specific question was about music, and your response and mine were identical with regards to music--it's not possible. Yes, you can probably swing it so you get music from one place and calendar from another.

Even if he does do that, he's still going to have to clear it with people in management, first. I can pretty much guarantee that a company as large as Ford would overreact when they discovered an employee was syncing company info to a personal smartphone without permission.

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

This is what I answered...and yes he can set it up "WITHOUT" additional software as I stated and do every single day.

As I also stated: You can not sync music on both machines or it will erase what is on the iPhone for the new iTunes library. However, if both libraries at work and home are completely identical then it is a mute point and the same library selected will reload. However, I would recommend just using the home computer to sync music and the office computer to sync calender/contacts.

Your response did not come out that way and we were far from identical. There is no "probable" about it. It can be done and is being done by many users. He didnt ask about permissions and I am sure since he is the one working in IT, he is very aware of what he is and is not allowed to do.

8. mingisback thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent.... this is exactly what i've been looking for.

I was just hoping that ActiveSync could be used in place of iTunes on the PC side. I'd prefer not to have iTunes installed on my work PC.. and i'm sure my department would prefer I didn't too. But... syncing my calendar is something that supersedes what they'd prefer. :)

I was using a Outlook macro that exports my Calendar to gCal then imported the gCal to iCal. Total pain in the @$$.

This solution seems much simpler.

9. mingisback thread starter macrumors regular

Ok... iPhone syncing with Outlook works.. but it's flawed.

All my Calendar events synced over.. but random events all over the place are an hour off.

If I can't have a rock solid schedule to go off of... it's pointless.

Has anyone else has this issue??

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Sadly I don't think the iPhone will sync without the iTunes software. I don't think Apple is supporting the desktop variant of Active Sync in the manner which you would like to use it. But I could be wrong.

11. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

The reason your schedule is off, is that one of your computers is not set to daylight savings time...this usually happens on the PC side. Check your computer clock and make sure that it and outlook match.

To address your other concern...you will still need iTunes on the PC computer even with active sync. The new active sync is modified/different then what you are used to. It will be validated through your account with iTunes and the sync your calender/contacts. Both iTunes and Active Sync will be required when released, it will not be one or the other.

12. creaburn macrumors newbie

Novice help

I am trying to convince my Boss to get the 3g Iphone as a replacement phone / PDA, but our IT system is very secure and will not allow Itunes to be loaded onto our desktop pc's. My question is, can I just sync my outlook calender, contacts and to do lists with active sync through a usb like a windows PDA without itunes like I currently do with my smartphone. Our IT will not approve wireless syncing, push email etc with exchange nor downloading Itunes on our systems.

Please help.

13. blueharvester macrumors regular

This is awesome news and exactly what I've been after for quite some time but when I posted this, they told me that it couldn't be done! Although I was posting this with regards to an iPod touch but surely they work the same way? Anyway I'm getting an iPhone soon so I'll just sync music and videos from iTunes on my home PC and sync Calendar and Contacts from my work iTunes.

Thanks for this.

14. blueharvester macrumors regular

I've just tested this on my work PC using my old iPod nano and sure enough it works! My music is synced with home iTunes and my Cal and Contacts are synced with work iTunes.

15. hoetimm macrumors newbie

Hi mingisback,
    did you solve the issue of syncing your iPhone with the Ford desktop ActiveSync tool via USB? I'm asking because I'm working in Ford of Europe and I'm facing the same issues finding a good Phone which is able to sync with my Ford account. I was asking the helpdesk but they are not very supportive on that topic.

Regards from Europe,
    hoetimm

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It still looks like you need iTunes installed on the workstation (or terminal) to sync the iPhone, in addition to Exchange running Activesync.

17. fiatlux macrumors regular

No. iTunes is required on the desktop to sync the iPhone with Outlook through USB. The iPhone does not sync through the desktop Activesync software.

The Activesync service must be running on the Exchange server for over-the-air syncing. In this case, you are not syncing through the desktop.

I find it strange that Apple tied the desktop-syncing to iTunes. I don't think many IT departments are going to be very receptive to the idea of installing iTunes (primarily an "entertainment" software) on corporate PCs. Activesync OTOH is much easier to get installed, at least in my company.

Buying an iPhone that can't sync with my Outlook calendar is a no-go and I'm probably going to go the WM smartphone route... sigh...

18. haddman macrumors regular

Question, does your company support a OWA (Outlook Web Access) site where users can check their email? If so simply plug the address in as your exchange email server and you should be good.

19. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Which is what i wrote (although it was probably hard to understand that). Using Exchange Activesync means you are syncing OTA. Not using USB. iTunes related stuff still needs USB for syncing with desktop (although now not as much).

20. whlphil macrumors member

mobile me!

I sync my contacts and calendars on my work PC to my .me account which sync's OTA to my iphone instantly and also to my MBP at home works perfect for me. OK it's not free but it does work and i can put up any important files from home upto idisk and see them anywhere.

21. fiatlux macrumors regular

I considered that as well. Unfortunately, the Mobile me syncing does no seem to go through our corporate firewalls, which include proxies with authentication.