iPhones and Cars: What do you Use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palebluedot, Dec 25, 2008.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Is there such a thing as an iPhone car adapter that both charges the iPhone and lets you play through either FM radio or a tape adapter? Like an all in one device? Preferably one that would HOLD the iPhone too.. like in a cup holder?

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think the ultimate setup is the proclip usa look. i use that with a aux cable to my car and it works flawlessly. i have tried others but i think its worth the money in the long run.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Really depends what you want to spend, and what kind of car you have.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I only use a FM transmitter since it's easy to find a dead zone in the radio frequency here in my area :p

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I bought a Belkin Charger and FM Transmitter for $79 and some tax...

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

For a good one they generally run for $70 and upwards. Well worth it though. I'm waiting until i get my next car. I'm going to wire it so it's all hidden and nothing sticking out.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I couldn't find one so I bought this. Has full iPod/iPhone integration through the nav screen. :D

[​IMG]

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

nice, a car to go along with your iphone haha. jk, nice car!

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I always wanted a car to go along with my iPhone..

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have a Pioneer touchscreen deck that is centered around my iPod. I plug the iPod/iPhone into the iPod connector and I can control it through the screen on the stereo. It charges the iPod but not the iPhone because of the changes made on the iPhone. It's about the closet thing your gonna get that works good.

11. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I have a 2009 ford fusion, all integrated with usb.

12. cwerdna macrumors 6502

I'm still looking for a good compatible FM transmitter + charger for my 04 Nissan 350Z (no tape deck, no input jack). I posted a query at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=604102.

I personally don't want one that has an arm and holds an iPhone.

My other car, an 06 Toyota Prius has an aux input jack. I use that in conjunction with a PowerJolt for iPhone to power it.

13. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

I have a 2006 Scion tC that has a built in iPod adapter (which, granted, did cost extra) that not only charges iPods and iPhones, but allows the user to control the music selection through the head unit (the center control unit, or "radio" as many people simply refer to it as).

I can just plug in my 3G iPhone and control everything right on the go like I would CDs or changing radio stations... it's perfect!

Plus, Scions are sweet as hell in my opinion.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Don't waste money on the FM transmitters, they don't really work and the quaity doesn't do justice. Most car's ipod interface doesn't really work with iphone either, but I do know that audi system works even when the phone says it's not compatible. Although for me to do with Pandora, I need to delete all my songs first.

15. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I have a 2004 nissan maxima that has a bose tape deck and a radio...

Any suggestions on what I should get?

Is there a device that plugs into the bottom of the iphone and then the tapedeck?

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This will do it for you.

17. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I figured thats what I should use - I just wondered if there was any cool all in one tape deck + charge + holder thingys. Thanks :)

18. cwerdna macrumors 6502

If the car has an audio input jack, iPod interface or tape deck, I totally agree.

If it has none, then there's really no choice. As for "they don't really work", that's bogus. I've been using my IPTRNSX since July 06 w/o issues w/my iPods. It works fine except when I get near San Francisco where the radio stations overpower the transmitter completely.

As for "quaity doesn't do justice", well, the stereo on that car is pretty crappy anyhow and the car is loud. I'm not willing to go w/an aftermarket stereo since I've had a car stereo stolen out of another car before and another car broken into for something else. It's too much of a theft magnet. If there were no such thing as car stereo theft, I'd have no qualms and would upgrade the crap stereo w/o hesitation.
    A tape adapter is by far the best choice. Don't bother w/a FM transmitter.

19. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

http://www.gromaudio.com/

Check if they offer one for your car, it's only around $65 and offers CD quality sound, charges the phone, and you can control it through your OEM stereo. I love it!

20. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

For a holder, I use ProClip. They are pricey, but the quality, fit, and finish cannot be beat. You really have to use one to see why!

Griffin charger for power. Aux port on my car for the audio. Bluetooth (in my car) for using the phone.

Works like a charm!

Bryan

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I agree. Those FM transmitters do work somewhat but they are not nearly perfect.

I bought one of those by BELKIN and though it did work ok, it wasn't perfect at all.

I bought it to take on the road when I went on vacation last September. I wanted to be able to have my iPod to listen to and at the time, I was still using the stock stereo that my car came with. It only had a CD player and no AUX jack.

The FM transmitter worked OK till you got to a major city with allot of radio stations broadcasting. The interference would make using the transmitter worthless. I also noticed that I had to turn up the volume more than double than I had to when playing a DVD or radio.

A few months after this, I went and bought new Pioneer deck that has an iPod plugin that plays the iPod through the screen of the deck as I mentioned in another post in this thread.

22. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    My car has a built in auxilary input that i can plug my iphone into and it works great.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I use an $8 retractable audio cable that goes from the headphone jack to a port in my Camry. Why every new car and car stereo sold today doesn't include one of those is beyond me.

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

My 09 Chevy came with a USB designed to use with my iPod. My 06 didn't so I had to buy an aftermarket stereo that did. I'm pretty sure most 09 cars have at least an AUX jack now. It's pretty standard for this model year.

25. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Almost all aftermarket cd players for cars these days have 1/8" audio input jacks on them nowadays. For example:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XRF5100/Sony-XR-F5100.html?tp=5684

At only $70, this to me makes a lot more sense than a an FM transmitter for the same price. They are not hard to install either but if that's not your cup of tea, then buy it from a local car audio store and they will probably install it for free (in my experience, at least ;))......