Iphones and cars

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flyingphil, Mar 17, 2009.

1. flyingphil macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm in the UK if that matters to this question.

Can I ask how people use their iphones in their cars. I currently have an ipod wired in to my stereo but as a prospective iphone 3g buyer I'm wondering how I'm going to a. listen to music, b. make and receive calls and c. charge the thing.

I don't really want to put a new stereo system in and so any solution would need to work with the OEM radio. My current car stereo doesn't have bluetooth but a future car (maybe on the cards soon) may have.

Thanks.

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i use a tape -> 1/8" jack and leave it on shuffle. if i dont like the song i just double click the home button and tap next.

plus the more you shuffle through songs - the smarter it gets. let's face it. there are songs that aren't good to drive through, or youre just not in the mood for.

if you don't have a tape player you could always get an FM transmitter. and if you don't want to suffer quality you could always mod your stereo or get a new head unit for pretty cheap.

i think the tape player would be the best idea - esp for battery usage.

and as far as charging goes (for long trips/etc) i have a power inverter with 2 outputs so i just plug my MacBook in and plug my iPhone into that. i figure if i'm in the car long enough to need a charger - then i'll probably have my MacBook too.

you could always bring your standard iPhone charger if you didn't have your computer.

but i don't see the point in buying a cigarette lighter adaptor for something and not be able to use the power output for anything else

3. tvp macrumors member

My cigarette lighter thing is broken so I can't use that to charge. I have a JVC cd deck that has both a USB and auxillary plug in the front. The USB will charge the iPhone but won't play off it, so if I'm on a long trip I'll charge with the USB and plug the aux. into the headphone jack and stick my iPhone on shuffle. I just unplug if I have a call come in, but you can answer it and hear the person over the speakers and talk, I don't really like doing that though.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah i usually unplug too.

and if you are interested - it's SO easy to run wiring for a new cigarette lighter. and that usb is VERY convenient !

6. tvp macrumors member

I don't think it's the wiring, there was a small piece of metal that fell out and after that it stopped working. I never had a reason to use it before so I never got it fixed. I wonder how easy it would be to replace the hardware. The USB is great, that's what sold me on the cd deck.

7. The Governor macrumors regular

Really? So yiu clicked on thas threaad to corect his errror of "Ihones"?

Wow. You know I think that is the best advice that the OP was looking for.

By the way....I riddled my post with grammatical errors so you can up your post count even more by correcting mine.

Getting back to the question at hand, like somebody else mentioned, I use a belkin tape deck to connect my iphone to my car's stereo. I also purchased a nice little iphone holder that hooks on to the vents. The setup works very well.