iPhones and Motorcycle helmets

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Natesac, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I am sure some of you have had the same issues as i have. The earbuds just don't like to stay in when you pull on your full face helmet.

After lots of searching it seems that no one makes a simple solution for us iphone guys. We don't have stereo bluetooth. so the scala boxes are useless. (although very nice)

Has anyone made (or found) a solution to make a full face motorcycle helmet have the same functionality as the factory Iphone headset?
    A wired music/phone solution for iphone.

I am willing to buy parts and hack and splice away to get this result: A helmet with speakers near the ears. with a wire with a tiny mic that I could glue into the front of my helmet(in front of my mouth. and the Pause/skip/play/answer button glued somewhere for easy access with gloved hands.

anyone have any thoughts about this idea? I was thinking something like a wired stereo gaming headset with mic. take the guts out and mount them in my helmet.

2. tombee macrumors member

3. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine, now dead tragically, used a Shoei 'Vision 2000' helmet which incorporated full 5.1 surround and a visor which displayed a picture in front of his eyes while he rode along on his Vespa.

Why don't you see if you can track one of those down?

4. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

5. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

I have tried many different kind of headphones for my motorcycle and even tried some of the speakers that you install in your helmet.

I have found that the best headphones to use are the Etymotic 6i Isolator Earphones. You an find them online for around $80

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

[​IMG]

They cut out most of the outside noise so you can actually listen to music when flying down the road at 65mph. They act like an earplug. Also they do not stick out very much so it is easy to put a helmet on and off with them in your ears. I have introduced these to many motorcycle riders and they love them. The sound quality is excellent but may be a little weak on the bass for some people.

I really wish that I could get these headphones with the built in mic and control that comes with the apple headphones. I am very tempted to do my own surgery and cut the wires and make my own version of the apple cable with mic/controls and the er6i headphones. If it does not work though, it will be very costly.