iPhones and Motorolla cable internet modems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by curmudgen, Jul 29, 2010.

1. curmudgen macrumors member

They do not play well together.

I recently ditched my DSL and went cable internet connection. Only one in my area is Cox, and I got a motorolla modem from them. Then I started seeing the box randomly disconnect and reset.

Well after numerous calls, and 3 tech visits to the house I got some answer. On the way out the door talking to the technician it came up that I had an iPhone. He told me that over some time period they had been getting verbal reports and trouble calls relating to iphone and that motorolla modem. Something about interference.

So last 3 days I have left the iphone away from the modem and sure enough, no drops at all.

Anyone else out there had similar problems? I have encountered one other person that had a similar problem with their itouch.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try connecting another wireless router instead.
    Motorolla does not like Apple :D

3. dagored macrumors 65816

Like Applejuiced said try another wireless router.

I have comcast and my modem was over 5 years old. Kept dropping out and resetting. They checked my line, inside and out. Went up the pole. They said everything checked out. No joy. It was my modem - not paying the $5 a month.

I researched cable modems and found the Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem. It was on sale at Best buy for $74.

WOW - have yet to drop off line (been 8 months) - speed is fantastic. While at Wal-Mart, next door to Best Buy, I picked up a Belkin N wireless router.

No more problems. Remember, their tech do not know everything.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    My old Verizon DSL modem used to drop wireless connections all the time. I'd have to restart it every 1-2 days.
    Now with a nice Lynksis I havent needed to reset it for over 6-7 months.

5. eric1971 macrumors member

My Motorola Surfboard is at least 6 years old. Works fine with my Macbook, iPhone 4, previous iPhone 3G.

6. blueturf macrumors member

I had the same issue. I found on a forum somewhere to disable IPV6 or something in the modem setup screen.

7. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I have Cox with a Motorola modem and a Linksys dual band router. My iPhone 4 works great with it as does everything else that gets online. When I moved into my house last December I had an old crappy modem and my internet would always go out. Around March I bought a Motorola modem and my internet has never gone out.

8. SeniorGato1 macrumors regular

SB6120 w/ current model Airport works Comcastically well.

Also the 6120 has a diagnostic web page where you can view signal strength/line quality metrics.

You may also want to see if there is a newer firmware update for whatever router you're currently using.

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

My cox cable randomly drops as well and it's not my hardware. I got a sb6120 modem that's running channel bonding in download, a wrt350n router on dd-wrt and every connection at gigabit speeds.