iPhones are expensive, use flip phone and iPod touch instead?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by piatti, Jun 5, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

That's the thought I've been having. But my family said they need the GPS of the iPhone while driving. I once heard that you can somehow download Google maps so that you don't need 3G internet to access it to use it as GPS. Is this true?

At any rate it seems to me it would be so much cheaper to get iPod touch + a non-smart phone, why do people get iPhones, getting forced into expensive monthly data plan?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I don't consider $1/day for data to be expensive, considering how often during the day I use it.

3. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I still have the unlimited data plan for my 4s and I don't consider it expensive either. It's a smartphones and it offers more a flip phone can.

4. riveting macrumors 6502

Does ipod touch has GPS build in? The main difference is of course you can't get 3g data with ipod touch, which is what really make most use of smart iphone outside of wifi zone. Second reason is that it is of course easier to carry one device (iphone) than two.

If you don't use much data, I think flip phone+ipad would be a better combo. Since in wifi area (most likely home or work place), pocketability is less important.

But I kind of agree all smartphones are overpriced, but you don't have a choice as carrier didn't offer much discount on plan even if you buy phone outright.

5. takeshi74, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why is this in iPhone hacks?

Because cost isn't the top concern above all else for everyone out there. Never assume that your preferences are universal. I couldn't stand to carry multiple devices. I find the data functionality of the iPhone extremely useful. I find the convergence of everything to be incredibly useful. Not having to separately manage a cell phone book alone is worth a lot to me. The iPhone is much, much more than just a GPS device. If all you want is GPS you can buy standalone GPS units that are relatively inexpensive. Other people certainly have countless other reasons. Does it really matter? Use whatever works for you.

If cost really is your top concern then don't overlook paper maps either. They're even cheaper than an iPod Touch. :D

You can precache which is limited and a real hassle IMO. If you want locally stored map data then get a nav app that actually stores map data on the device itself. The stock map app isn't a true nav app anyway. You don't get voice prompts, etc.

6. gd6 macrumors member

i have an iphone 4s, I get unlimited internet, texts, and 100 minutes for $30 a month from t-mobile. I make free calls over wifi using talkatone since I use most of my minutes when in the range of wifi...and I'm not a heavy minute user anyway.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If your phone contract is already over, you can switch over to the cheaper mvno providers. I've heard conflicting information about the viability of pre-paid, but there you only pay for the data you use.
    If it's the gps you're concerned about, buy a gps. They're not very expensive and depending on the model you get, you can get lifetime map updates.
    I use data all the time, so the data cost is worth it to me.

8. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Google Maps do not allow offline storage, but there are other mapping apps based on e.g. OpenStreetMaps that do.

I have an app called "Europe" which contains an offline map of all of Europe (around a 1GB download!). I think I paid around 3$ for it. I guess there are similar apps for the US.

9. TriJetHero, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Gps doesn't use data, google maps does, get navigon or TomTom, a 1-time investment.

10. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I had this combo before (iPod Touch 4th Gen and Android phone, then sold the Android and got along with a cheapo phone), but then since I like some jailbreak tweaks and whatnot, the iPod wasn't just good enough, less RAM, less CPU, it was slow as hell and I was getting tired.
    Plus not having internet 24/7 on my apps and instead relying on thetering via the Android phone (and then carrying two power adaptors to recharge), was tiring for me.

Now that I have the iPhone I'm happy not to rely on tethering the internet from another source AND it's blazing fast jailbroken and all.

So yeah, that's why some people get an iPhone.

If you don't get online or use online-filled apps for the most part of the day, don't care about GPS and certainly don't care about taking pictures or Full HD video, then the iPod touch is more than enough.