iPhone's "autocorrect" unacceptably terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rawdawg, Oct 21, 2012.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

Been meaning to post this for years now. After forum searches I'm surprised I can't find threads on this before. I know there is a way to turn off autocorrect, but that's not the problem. The problem is autocorrect is so terribly incorrect most the time it takes all my strength not to use explicits to describe my frustration that Apple's engineers with this feature continue to have a job.

I find at least 1/2 the time autocorrect is flat wrong, the other half of the time is it in fact useful. But it's the wrong half where things get interesting. Part of the time it is so incredibly wrong I have no idea where or how the iPhone came up with that suggestion. Simple and short very common words being replaced with complicated and rare words twice the length. Or breaking up a work into two unrelated words. Or just now, I just tried typing "got your" and it changed it to "gory out" for instance. I know the letters are close to each other but why on earth would it suggest that incomprehensible word combination.

But that's not nearly the worst it's suggested, I'm only using it as an example because it just happened. A few months ago I typed something and it changed it to "proletariat"!? Often it suggests words that don't even exist!! How on earth is this possible?!---combinations of letters that aren't even words to replace a word so clearly just one letter off.

Seriously, how can such a feature be so poor? Here's a suggestion - don't autocorrect with words that don't exist and you've already helped prevent a great deal of frustration.

How can the engineers designing this feature be such idiots?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

proletariat - noun - workers or working class people, regarded collectively

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You don't know what proletariat is?! :confused::confused::confused:
    Try updating to iOS 6. Autocorrect is amazing on it.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Time to switch to blackberry 10 once it comes out then!

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I just typed "got your" and it didn't change a thing. I'm thinking perhaps what you think you've typed is not what you actually typed, accounting for the odd autocorrections.

Mind you, I did once text a friend that I was leaving for the "gyn" and instead of suggesting the correct "gym," it suggested "gun."

----------

He has proletariat in his signature. I'm pretty sure he knows what it is.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've had some oddities pop up, when I hit the wrong letters, but it's always words that exist. Perhaps you don't know all the words that exist....hmmm.....

7. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

I consistently get autocorrected into random combinations of words separated by a comma with no space. :confused:

8. shawncooper78 macrumors newbie

You are exactly right dude, autocorrect sucks.

9. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I am pretty surprised this isn't everyones experience here. Based on my friends who experience similar issues I figured everyone had just the same problem. I need to start making a list of the ridiculous words it suggests. Especially the random letter combinations.

I too sometimes get random words with comma's but not space between them - great example.

Facepalm to the others... I never used that word as an example of a word that doesn't exist, and yeah it's pretty random it happens to be in my signature line anyhow! Thanks for noticing that!

In Apple's defense, if the population of Mac Rumors represents an accurate sample of what the engineers may be like, then I can imagine how mistakes could happen.

10. jupebox macrumors newbie

auto correct madness

is it just me or is the auto correct WORSE for iOS6 or the iPhone5?

i had an iphone 4 and the corrections were pretty good.

now, it seems insane.....

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced