iPhone's battery lasting 30 hours?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by helloimD4NNY, Nov 13, 2009.

1. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

Is that possible? Tonight i'm going to six flags with my schools key club and i'll be back home probably early sunday morning. I'm leaving tonight at 12:50 am(pacific). Is it possible for my iPhones battery to last that long? (i'm going to be texting with maybe 10 minutes of phone use at most)

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, if you turned it on airplane mode when you're not using it that 10 minutes. Otherwise, probably not.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Can't take a charger? Make sure to turn off bluetooth wifi and 3g, and also turn down the brightness. This will all help conserve power.

4. helloimD4NNY thread starter macrumors regular

I can text on airplane mode?

were just staying overnight. no place to charge it. :(

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He won't get 30 hours on EDGE though from what I've experienced. I could be wrong. It'll also depend on his signal.

Yeah, looked it up, and EDGE is only rated 12 hours talk time.

@OP: No, you can't text in airplane mode.

So, it all comes down to how you use the phone during that time.

6. helloimD4NNY thread starter macrumors regular

i wont be talking all twelve hours though, just 10 minutes at most. i will be texting though...

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Test it out yourself. See how long it take to go down 5% with just EDGE and not talking on the phone. Then multiply by 20 and you might get that.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It won't, unless you don't use it. Then what's the point of taking it?

9. firewood macrumors 604

The rated standby time for an iPhone 3G is 300 hours (that's 12 days). That's with everything turned off except for Edge: no calls, no texting, no wifi, bluetooth, location services, push, or just turning it on. It's on the Apple official specifications web site, but I find that number hard to believe, except for maybe 1 golden test unit locked in a sealed glass case directly under a cell phone tower.

Rated music playback time (with everything else off) is 30 hours. That's probably more realistic. One blogger actually got that number.

But every 2 or 3 minutes you turn the iPhone on for any reason cuts the standby time down by around 1%. If you have less than 5 bars coverage, the standby time will also go down a lot. If you have only 1 or 2 bars, might as well switch it to Airplane mode for awhile.

So if you leave it off except for 10 minutes of phone calls and 10 minutes of texting, and only when you have 4 or 5 bars, then you might be OK.

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

My 2G would last this (a lot older, and worse battery to start with) if all I was doing was texting and making very short phonecalls. You're not going to be using it a solid 30 hours. My phone lasts 2 days with minimal usage.

11. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Probably won't last that long. Just give it a good charge over night and hope for the best.

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The real questiong is what you mean by "using it for texting." Sending and receiving an occasional text is one thing; having your thumbs glued to the (virtual) keyboard all day is another. So how heavy will your texting be?

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Actually the rated standby time of 300 hours is with WiFi on.

[​IMG]

14. Morn macrumors 6502

But wifi automatically shuts off until you wake the phone.

15. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

He did say about 10 minutes.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Actually, what he said was "i'm going to be texting with maybe 10 minutes of phone use at most." I take that to be a differentiating between texting and "phone use" (i.e., talk time), with the only limit he mentions being on the latter.

If he meant that he will only be texting (no talk time), and that all of his text reading and text writing will take at most 10 minutes, then there really shouldn't be a problem getting 29 hours and 50 minutes of standby out of the phone, even with everything turned on. But I don't think that's what he meant.