iPhone's borked, can't restore.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by That-Is-Bull, Apr 18, 2008.

1. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I recently installed the Customize 2.0 beta. I uninstalled Summerboard first incase they interfered with each other or something. Customize was working fine, then I read on their website that Summerboard is needed for wallpapers to work with it. So I installed Summerboard again, and restarted. Now when I try to turn the iPhone on, I get the Apple logo for a minute, then slanted black and white stripes appear, then it goes back to the Apple logo with a loading symbol spinning on top. It's stuck on that, I've restarted many times and waited about 15 minutes, it just keeps spinning and overlaps itself after awhile.

I can't restore it. When I try, I get "The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (0xE8000001)." But I can still access the iPhone's files via FTP. Is there any way I can replace the files manually or something?

2. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Fixed. I had to turn off my iPhone and turn it on in recovery mode by connecting it to my computer while holding the home button, then restore. It didn't backup any of my settings though :(

3. spinstorm macrumors 68000

Any issues on iPhone are fixable by restoring even when you think they arent!

(except ZiPhone calibration error which is currently not fixable - so don't use ziphone ever!)

You should never restore from back-up if you have hacked your phone as it may cause issues with wi-fi and other applications on your iPhone.

If you did restore from back-up and encounter issues you will have to restore again and set the phone up as new.