iPhones come in fours

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kingofclouds, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Kingofclouds macrumors member

Kingofclouds

Is it really surprising that the next iPhone 7 will be similar in design to the 6/6s models? This is simply following Apple's historical design language for iPhones.

iPhone (original) & iPhone 3G/3Gs
    - very similar design language used here between all the models. Apple hadn't thought of the S cycle with the first phone so this is three handsets that all are basically the same design albeit the smaller details. Similar button design, shape and feel (except the aluminium vs plastic body)

iPhone 4/4s & iPhone 5/5s (& SE)
    - again similar design language used here, volume buttons, flat slab shape, antenna design etc. The only change here was Apple being forced to move the screen size from 3.5 to 4 inches with the 5 in an attempt to appease the large phone brigade. If that wasn't on the cards the 5 would have been very similar to the 4....the aluminium body was a result of manufacturing efficiencies and problems with the glass back shattering etc. The headphone jack relocation is minor design change.

iPhone 6/6s & iPhone 7/7s
    - I believe the 7 has been designed as an evolution of the 6 series and at this moment Apple could possibly release a 7s next year with the same design. But that will depend on the uptake for the 7. Again they may be forced into an 8 redesign early...

So basically the original, 4 & 6 were really the only true redesigns so why are we so shocked about the 7? I think it's only been the market that has forced apple's hand when they have stepped out of their planned cycle of a new design every 4 years with a refine of the original concept every 2 years in between.

But to be fair the have reacted when the demand dictated...3G model, bigger 5 screen, larger 6 screens so a completed redesigned 8 to compete with Galaxy and Note models could be likely.

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

You only have one real data point here, the 4/4S and 5/5S. I disagree about the original being the same as the 3G/3GS (and as you pointed out this isn't a foursome anyway), and it's well documented that the 2017 iPhone will be vastly different, so again, not a foursome.

3. Kingofclouds thread starter macrumors member

Kingofclouds

I think the original and 3G are very similar in terms of design language. Look at the shape of the handset and the button styles. The original iPhone design would have lasted longer if it wasn't for the need to lower the cost of the unit to attract more users to a new technology. The change to a plastic back has been well documented. Otherwise this would perhaps have been continued with the aluminium body.

The 2017 iPhone design hasn't been 'documented' anywhere. Just speculation at this point based on people's belief that Apple will have to react to the latest Samsung/Android phones...

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I'm not shocked at all. In fact, I've thought the exact same thing for a long time.

5. enriquesh96 macrumors regular

enriquesh96

Now that you point that out it actually makes sense. I always said the 5 was just a taller version of the 4 because it kept the same design language but they used different materials. The upcoming iPhone 7 keeping the same design language comes as no surprise. Apple should have added a new casing material for the 7 instead of just relocating the antenna bands though..

6. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

But former iPhones had far more distinctive features, differentiate them from their predecessor. The only visible difference on the iPhone 7, if rumors are to believe, will be two missing lines on the back and that's it.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

To say that today's Apple follows any sort of pattern is lunacy. This company has sadly become the opposite of consistency.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'd say the design language between the 4 and 5 was rather different. Much more different than that between the 5 and 6. JUst my opinion of course.

9. Xenden macrumors regular

I just don't think that Apple care about precedent. It would pigeonhole them into putting out a new design just for the sake of doing so.