iPhone's Competition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacsBestFriend, Jan 2, 2009.

?

What do you think is the iPhones largest competition?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2009.
  1. BlackBerry Storm (Verizon)

35 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. Samsumg Omnia (Verizon)

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Google G1 (T-Mobile)

22 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Palm Centro (Many providers)

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Meh, iPhone owns all...

36 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

What do you think is the iPhones largest competition and why?:cool:

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The Google G1. it's pretty obvious. it is made by google, it has the andriod platform, etc.

But it will never catch up to the iPhone.

3. Pronoun macrumors newbie

The next Google phone maybe, the platform (android) seems promising.

4. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I think it's obviously the BlackBerry.

Hardly anyone I know has even heard that Google has a phone, and those that do think it hasn't even come out yet. Plus it's on T-Mobile, which pales in comparision (in numbers) to AT&T and Verizon.

Plus the BlackBerry is such a household name.

5. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

6. manram24 macrumors member

I think the new Blackberry. Some people are brainwashed, with that whole blackberry thing. iPhone is the way to go.

7. vw195 macrumors 6502

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I voted based on marketing rather than on features. I think the Storm is a lot further behind the iPhone than the G1, but I think based on the Blackberry name and marketing alone, the Storm poses the biggest threat.

9. tsvb macrumors 6502

Honestly at this point I would say that the storm is. I think this for the simple fact that it's on a bigger network and it will simply out sell the G1.

I would like to see a nice HTC Android device on AT&T or Verizon and see how it does.

10. davyreins macrumors 6502

The G1 looked pretty plain in its pictures but I heard it is actually pretty cool in real life

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, where are all the Diamond models in the poll?

They're available on just about every carrier around, unlike the iPhone and some RIMs.

12. mj1903 macrumors member

Honestly? Nothing comes close right now.

It's kinda like the early iPod where all the competitors just didn't have a clue how to respond.

13. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I think you're right in terms of "iPhone-like phones." There are certainly many phones that can beat the iPhone in many ways, but these companies (RIM included, which saddens me greatly) are trying too hard to copy the iPhone and "beat it," rather than simply innovating. I was in the mall, and a guy at the T-Mobile booth stopped me and said
    "Hey, you want to switch to T-Mobile, blah blah?"
    So I respond "No thanks, I'm switching to AT&T in March."
    "Ah, for what?"
    "For the iPhone."
    "Ah, well how about T-Mobile's iPhones?"

I understand that he's just trying to BS me into getting a T-Mobile contract, but why not "The G1 is really nice phone, would you like to check it out?" Rather than "T-Mobile's iPhone." It's not T-Mobile's iPhone...It's T-Mobile's G1. That's just one of those things that gets at me. If these companies would focus on making phones that are unique, they'd do so much better. So, I think in terms of all "iPhone killer" phones, you are right.

14. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

The Android as a platform has for more competitive potential than any other, but the G1 as a phone is nothing in comparison to the iPhone. The Storm is garbage IMO, now I will say, if I were with Verizon the BB Storm would be in my pocket, but it's no iPhone competitor. I've played with the Storm and its typing accuracy is a joke, the browser cannot touch the beauty of Mobile Safari, the UI could have been designed by any other company, no wifi, the wireless speeds are much slower 3G than AT&T in the field and the click screen is not only non-mutitouch, but it's a pain in the rear. The iPhone has just been such a great success and complete domination, it's going to be tough for any others to compete head to head with iPhone and Apple. It's truly the supreme phone. It's still too bad it lacks simple features like MMS, txt FWD and Copy/Paste...

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Based on all the other phones I'd say that the Blackberry Storm is the iPhone's greatest threat.
    The Blackberry Storm also isn't all that bad.

16. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Of course, that's subjective. I would say, generally speaking, you're probably right. It's not a bad phone, but if you compare it to the rest of what RIM offers, it's nothing. When the newest phone can't compete with older phones from the same company, there's something wrong.

Edit: By compete, I mean in ease-of-use/efficiency (in things such as typing)/et cetera. These things are also subjective, but I've heard very few people say they type faster on the BB Storm than other blackberries.

17. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I'm going to say G1. But the Android system HAS GOT to get better. It has great features that I love over the iPhone, but its alarm doesn't go off after the first time if you don't snooze it [/mini rant], it has to get a better built-in browser, I like seeing the entire webpage, and its email client is crap.

Minor things can make Android surpass the iPhone in many ways, oh and a good device to go along with it. Although I don't think the G1 looks THAT bad. It's the battery life that is just...ugh.

18. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Thank you! That's exactly right. The iPhone made a name for itself. Unfortunately these other companies are trying too hard to make that iPhone killer rather than spending time on developing a phone that does everything the iPhone does, but has its own little nitch like video conferencing, just something! iPhone is becoming so universally known they are only making it worse by advertising "The iPhone Killer". They are doing it all wrong. As a former BB owner I loved how no other smartphone could do what a BB does, I'm sorry, but now the iPhone from a great company Apple has come in and creamed the competition by sticking with the basics. They created the most simple possible UI (Icon for each App), simple functions, easy controls, simple unlimited plans, simple, simple, simple... It was too easy.

19. akbc macrumors 6502

Android G1 might be a big competition, but the way iPhone 3G is marketed as the "business-friendly" now with exchange support and all that, I'd say BlackBerry Storm.
    BlackBerry has a solid foundation in business and corporate industry. And that's going to stay for a while like that.

20. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

EXACTLY.
    You got it spot on.
    It's just like how everybody refers to their mp3 players as an iPod.
    So the other day I had this conversation with one of my friends...
    Him, "Hey, I got a new iPod."
    Me, "Cool, what kind and how many gigs?"
    Him, "I dunno."
    Me, "did you're dad get it at the Apple Store?"
    Him, "I don't think they sell this iPod at the Apple Store."
    Me, "Well I highly doubt that. Let me see it."

He then takes it out of his pocket, and it's some Zen Nano thing.
    This has happened to me on numerous occasions.

21. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm seriously laughing at this! haha I've never heard anyone call a 3rd party MP3 player and iPod... But it's exactly what I was saying, the iPhone and iPod are creating their own names for themselves. MP3 player and Cell phone alike.

22. mj1903 macrumors member

As a company you know you've cornered a market when the average consumer calls any other product in your category by your product name. Kleenex and Coca Cola are good examples and the same with iPod. If Apple can get it with the iPhone as well, which I don't think they have achieved yet, then they are well on the way to printing money.

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Basically.
    One of the many things Apple is good at and reasons why other companies can't beat the iPhone.
    People nowadays love simplicity.

I've only seen one Android G1 out in the wild, and it is actually a lot uglier than I thought.
    I've seen several Blackberry Storms in the wild and many people checking them out and buying them at Verizon booths at the mall.

24. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Oddly enough, and I'm surprised by this. I have never in my life seen a G1. Also, similar to the Storm - If I were a T-Mobile customer I would own one, but the iPhone is just better.

25. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The iPhone is getting there.
    The iPod is already there; give the example I previously stated and the fact that over 80% of the kids at my school own an iPod.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple dominated multiple markets within a decade or at the end of this one.
    Computer industry - When you go into a classroom, someone else's house, etc, you assume their computer is a Mac.
    Cell Phone - The regular smartphone iPhone and then a non-smartphone iPhone, and available one more than one carrier.
    iPod - You assume that when you see someone listening to music but their device is hidden that it's an iPod. And when Microsoft and Apple are the only surviving media player companies. I only put Microsoft because they most likely won't give up.