iphone's google locate is saying im somewhere else??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by charlestrippy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

so - i had a 1.13 OTB iphone and recently went up to 1.1.4 - but since i noticed it was draining too much battery or something so i restored and went back to 1.1.3.

Anyway, i hate the locate button on google map and it's saying i'm in new Orleans? lol (i'm in tampa, fl)

if i use navizon or that program, LocateMe it seems to work - just not the google one?

also when i try and search for stuff it says no results found? even when typing something as broad as "pizza"?

anyone know how to fix that? or having the same problems?

2. cupofjoe macrumors regular

I'm guessing the cell towers aren't doing a good job of triangulating your position at the moment? lol

Have you tried driving around and using the "locate me"?

I've had it say I was in a river to the east of me before, so it's not that weird. :p

3. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

yeah i guess ill try it in some other places - i was thinking it could be slightly off ... but this is several states off lol

4. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Thats not as bad as where mine was saying I was. I'm in central Florida and it was telling me I was in Canada.

5. cupofjoe macrumors regular

It happens. ;)

6. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

i was just about to restore and try again but since other people are having problems i think i'll give it a day or so - or at least try in different places

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    First off, the cell tower locating does not triangulate. It gives the location of the tower your phone is using, as mapped by other phones with real GPS that used Google.

Secondly, most often when you're off by whole cities or states, the locating is using a WiFi hotspot that someone took with them when they moved, after their hotspot was mapped by Skyhook at the old location.

Turn off WiFi and see if you get at least the right city.

If not, yeah then restore. I"ve never seen a handheld that needed restoring of the OS as much as this one. Actually, I've never seen one that needed its OS restored at all :) Most just take a simple reset.

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You're the winner. I posted some test results a while ago. I checked it in several large cities and it was incredibly inaccurate. At the worst, I was 18 miles from where it said I was. I'm thinking Florida to Canada is the record.

9. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

It has been doing it consistently since before the 1.1.4 update and still does it with the update. Its always the exact same location it shows me near a cemetery in Toronto. I routed the direction from my home address to my current location, it gave me a distance of 1305 miles. To be fair it only seems to do this when I am at home and on my home WiFi network. Other than at home (where I don't need to know where I am) it works just fine.

Attached Files:

10. thatdude90210 macrumors member

Heh, at home, it has me off by over 45 miles. At work, it had my location nailed to the exact cross street.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Well, that's a clue. Did you buy your WiFI router used? Perhaps from Canada?

(Assuming you're using your own network and not a neighbor's! )

In either case, if Skyhook mapped the router's MAC address in Toronto, that's where their database has it. Until you write them and change it, that is.

12. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Wierd, mine works fine...

I just did it right now using my houses Wi-Fi and it pin pointed right on my house. Cool stuff.:cool:

Using EDGE, it has me off by a couple blocks...

13. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

The router was installed by my ISP and it came new in original packaging. I haven't attempted to solve the problem nor do I have any intention to since I don't need to determine my location at home. I thought it was interesting that it was so far off though.