iPhones in 2014: Will there still be a 4" model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dulcimer, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

There are reports of a 4.7" iPhone coming this year and potentially a 5.5" later. But what about 4"? Would Apple likely drop it entirely? Or if they were to keep selling it, would they sell last year's 5c, 5s, or a new 6c that's 4"?

2. sammy-boy macrumors regular

I hope they keep the 4" size, and still have a high end option with that screen too. I find that size ideal for portability and 1-handed use without having to shift my grip on the phone to reach far corners of the screen or stretch uncomfortably.

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think if they remove just a bit of bezel, 4.7 won't be too bad of a size. The 5.5 would be absolutely insane. Though I'm sure there is a market for it, I like the one handed use I get from my 5s now.

4. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I think the answer is yes. The 5S internals will IMO be moved into the 5C body, and the result will be a midrange 5CS. The 5C will be the budget phone and the 4S will retire.

5. cynics macrumors G3

They'll likely keep selling the 5C and 5S like they always have with previous iPhone models.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Maybe multiple color plastic iPhone 5SC phones with the new fingerprint sensor, slow motion camera, and faster A7 chip. The current phone basically.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I hope they keep it! I've played around with the galaxy phones, and they're just too big! The only one I could use is the s4 mini. I like being able to use my phone one handed. The 4" makes it hard to type in landscape already.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You will not be able to get the newest design this fall (A8) as a 4" iPhone. You will still be able to get the older A7 design as a 4" inch phone at least for 2014 / 2015.

9. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

You state that like it's fact :p

But I agree with this view. Either there'll be a 6c or they'll continue manufacturing the 5c at an even lower cost. I don't see them selling the 5s, especially since it's a premium phone and wouldn't be that different from the 6. They'll want to push techies to the 4.7" screen.

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I agree. Newest internals are going to be with the larger screen size (whatever that may be) only. Lower cost option will continue to be 4", whether it's the 5S or a 6C. Likely the 5C will still be sold too as the $0 option.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You both realize they could make a 4.7" screen with little to no differnce in phone size, right?
    Or are you simply against a larger screen?

12. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Why do you assume I want the smaller screen? In fact, I want the larger screen. I'm just curious to see out it plays out in the future as it may benefit me ;)

13. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Here's my prediction for the 2014 iPhone line-up:

- iPhone 5c for $0/$450 off contract: This is the price drop the 5c needs. For FREE, the iPhone 5c makes a lot of sense. It's an excellent phone with a very capable chip, 4" display, LTE, and a decent camera. With its bright colors and durable build, it makes a lot of sense for teens who're looking for a new iPhone on the cheap, and a much better value and durability than the 4S currently. Apple may update the colors, as it used to do with iPods, to regain some excitement for the 5c. A black one would be awesome. :apple:

- iPhone 5s for $99/$549 off contract: I believe the 5s will simply drop down to the mid-tier level instead of putting the internals on a plastic design. The 5s is a much more mature product than the iPhone 5, so it makes sense to keep it and keep its beautiful design, while lowering it down for the new iPhone.

- iPhone 6/Air for $199/$649 off contract: While we're still not sure what Apple will call it, this is the iPhone that most of us have been waiting for. Finally with a modernly-sized display at 4.7" - 5.0", inside a body that's only slightly larger than the current 5s. Based on the rumors and leaks, the display will truly be edge-to-edge with no side bezels. The design will probably be based off the iPad Air, and it'll be crazy thin. Other enhancements will surely include camera and processor. I'm not expecting much more else, as the focus this year will probably be display size! ;)

- iPhone 6L/Pro for $299/$749 off contract: A phablet-like iPhone still isn't sure for this year and no concrete evidence shows a 5.5"+ iPhone, I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. However, if they are making a big iPhone, I'm adamant this iPhone will be an extension to the lineup, rather than a replacement. As with all Apple products, the bigger one is always the better one, as they do with bigger Macs and iPad Air. I'm betting if we'll ever see a big iPhone, it'll be a very premium product that's priced higher than most phones in its class, so a $299/$749 price is likely I think. Apple thrives in the premium business, and this will be a dream for many iPhone buyers who wanted something like a Galaxy Note made by Apple and are willing to pay the extra.

I think 2014 will probably be one of the most important years for iPhone. Remember this: iPhone alone makes 50% of Apple's total revenue. The current line-up is weak for something that generates half of the company's money, and I'm sure Apple knows this, so they'll probably pump it up.

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

This. 4" high end option please.

Pocketability is a big thing for me.

----------

I especially like the 5C from 2010.

15. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

best case scenario, they're keeping the 5s in their lineup along with the iphone 4.7 and 5.5.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I think in September we are going to see only the 4.7" version, while they will keep the 5S at 100$ less.

17. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

absolutely... 4.7 as the iphone 6 and previous premium 5s as the subtier like its always been.

18. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Well I think there definitely will be. I mean we still have 3.5" screens.

19. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I pick this one. It makes the most sense. 5C had a few downgraded internals, like the microphone for instance and that's not in keeping with Apple as being a high end manufacturer.

20. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

They probably will make 4.7'' iphone and keep the C model at 4" or continue selling the iphone 5S :)

21. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Hopefully Apple will have 3 sizes all with equal specs outside of battery life and maybe storage. Apple released the 5C which differentiated based on color. Decent phone, but they missed the mark in my opinion. They should have differed on size but I assume the timing wasn't right. My guess though is that there will only be 2 models:

iPhone Air - 4.7
    iPhone Air+ - 5.x

I think this is the year they drop the numeral in the name as well.

22. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

This would be ideal. If they could make the 6/Air still work with a TPU case and not be too much bigger than current dimensions, I would look to buy one when my contract is up in nine months. Unfortunately I can't go naked for a $600 phone.

If there is only one 6 that's noticeably bigger than the 5/5s/5c, I guess I'll go for the discounted 5s. No point in getting a 5c when I have a perfectly good 5. Those of you who want the 5"+ screens are entitled to that, but posts on this forum show that there is still a desire for a 4" model with equal specs.