iPhone's management of network is silly

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Hello guys, I have an iPhone 5. My question is simple and direct:

Why does my iPhone switch to 4G with 1 bar of signal when there's 3G with 4 bars?

This kills my battery with no interesting benefits...

Thanks.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
I believe they are suppose to switch to whichever connection is better, though can't imagine 1 bar of 4G is that much better than 4 bars of 3G - though I don't know the specifics.

Why not just turn 4G off when at that location? This would help save your battery.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I believe they are suppose to switch to whichever connection is better, though can't imagine 1 bar of 4G is that much better than 4 bars of 3G - though I don't know the specifics.

Why not just turn 4G off when at that location? This would help save your battery.
It's a pain to go to settings < cellular data every time. And it may happen when I don't notice it (like when I'm not using it). If there was a 4G toggle...

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
All phones will prefer a weaker newer technology signal to a stronger older one. The phones prefer LTE over 4G, and 4G over 3G, and 3G over 2G, etc.

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Not really a toggle but a workaround I've used that has worked pretty well is the Launcher Widget. You can put shortcuts in so that you just pull down notification center and click on the shortcut you made and you are in your carrier settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.