iPhones Needs Unlocking!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonathanlaniado, May 11, 2013.

1. jonathanlaniado macrumors member

Hey guys, so I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.0 using T-Mobile's network. It is a jailbroken and unlocked device.

Following T-Mobile support for iPhones, if I update my phone to iOS 6.1.3, would I need to jailbreak and unlock it again, or would it work with T-Mobile with no issues?

Thanks guys, leave your comments or ask me questions.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

swiftunlocks.com $2

Get your iPhone permanently unlocked and you can update or restore without ever losing your unlock. They've done several iPhones for me.

3. jonathanlaniado thread starter macrumors member

So are you saying that I will need to unlock it or are you just marketing a website?

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'm not marketing the website, not affiliated with them at all.

Just suggesting that you use this method to unlock your iPhone so that you don't have to worry about any type of jailbreak or holding off on updates to keep your phone unlocked.

5. jonathanlaniado thread starter macrumors member

They don't have T-mobile though, so yeah...

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

But your phone is originally AT&T. You buy the unlock for the carrier your phone is locked to

7. Bear macrumors G3

How was the Phone unlocked? If it was unlocked with the jailbreak, then it probably would be locked again after the upgrade. If it was unlocked by the carrier, then it should still be unlocked after an OS upgrade.

Would that still work if he doesn't have an AT&T account? (I have no idea how the third party unlocks work.)

8. BruiserB macrumors 65816

But your 3GS was most likely an ATT iPhone.

It all depends on how your phone was unlocked. If it was legitimately unlocked by ATT or if it was illigitimately unlocked by one of the sites that somehow give Apple the clear signal for your IMEI, then your phone will stay unlocked if you update it.

But if your unlock somehow depends on your jailbreak, then you may lose it when you update. In this case the swiftunlock site could permanently restore your unlock.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's for the original carrier that the phone was locked to which would be AT&T if you are using one from the USA.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Another vote for swiftunlocks. They also offer instant unlocking now too for $5.

11. jonathanlaniado thread starter macrumors member

Would T-Mobile unlock it for free?

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

T-Mobile can't unlock it because it's not a T-Mobile phone. It's an AT&T phone. Maybe they can help. Swiftunlocks would be less hassle.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

True. I had a 3GS unlocked through T-Mobile and had to wait almost two months. I thought they forgot about me. For my 4S, I broke my contract after using my upgrade in January and then paying the first months bill. AT&T would never lock it because of that so I used swiftunlocks to unlock it two weeks after buying the phone. Very fast service.