iPhone's pirce going back up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by salsejo, Nov 9, 2007.

1. salsejo macrumors newbie

I have a friend who works for AT&T, and she claims that they received a notice from Apple stating that the 8GB iPhone's price is going back up on Januray 1st. Does anybody else know if this is true? I was waiting for the 16GB version to be available before I buy one, but I might have to go with the 8GB if this rumor is true. Please coment if you've heard something similar.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Historically AT&T employees do not know much of anything. I wouldn't hang my hat on anything they tell you.

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i think this would be unable to do, apple would get too much negative reactions

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Marketing genius. They're doing this to head off the lawsuits when they announce iPhone v2 at Macworld 2008 with 3G, 16GB, 5MP camera with flash and video :D

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Apple may not be known to lower prices (especially that much) but they arent going to raise prices, thats for sure. No company would do that...IF the persepective 16GB costs more, that makes sense..

6. calvy macrumors 65816

I work for AT&T and would be glad to inform you all that your friend is full of *****, or just heard a rumor and believed it. None of us at AT&T know any more than the rest of us here at macrumors what Apple will do with prices on the iPhone, short of course of the CEO and a few privileged few maybe, but certainly not your friend, whatever level she may be.

Also, I want to clarify, I don't work in a mobile retail store. I'm not in the Mobility group at all, just a lowly sys admin.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

she meant the 16gb iphone price is going up:rolleyes:

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

How can an unreleased, unannounced product go up in price?!

9. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

are you being sarcastic?:p

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Has anyone that works at the AT&T store EVER said anything correct?

11. atarin macrumors regular

I can't help but wonder if that's true, though. In the marketing hype during the initial price drop, both Apple and AT&T said the lower price would be "through the holidays," so I have been under the impression that the price will go back up.

12. Templex macrumors regular

It would be simply moronic to raise a product's price back up after lowering it.

13. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

With the profits Apple is making with the iPhone even at it's current price it would be asinine to raise the price of the 8GB model. This is even more asinine if they plan to start selling a 16GB model. My assumption on price would be that the 16GB could end up being $599 when it is first released but I can imagine that within two-three months after that point people are going to be bitching when the 16GB comes down and they decide to discontinue the 8GB model. It isn't a big deal for me, because I am honestly going to try to get some good use out of this iPhone before I invest in another phone.

14. dangleheart macrumors 6502

I would bet on a reduction of the price of 8 GB model when they introduce 16 GB. The price difference would be $100 between the two. So, my guess is, $349 for 8G and $449 for 16G when the 16G comes out. They did something like this over the years for the iPod, didn't they?