iPhone's proximity to MBP puts my MBP to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CliftonHighgrov, Aug 17, 2015.

1. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

MacBook Pro 15-inch, Early 2011; iPhone 5S

I've been noticing an odd thing recently: having my iPhone 5S near my MacBook Pro can cause the MBP to enter Sleep suddenly.

It happened once more just moments ago. It appears to only occur when the iPhone is in the region of the left-hand side of my trackpad, perhaps closer to the speaker than to the trackpad. It seems to only occur when I move the iPhone, not when it is at rest.

I've been using the iPhone in close proximity to my MBP more and more since I upgraded to a decent data package with tethering, so it's becoming more apparent. I'm confident I noticed this odd behaviour in the past, though, perhaps on the odd occasion when I would use my previously-meagre data allowance to check my email on the MBP.

I'm still trying to piece together the exact circumstances, but I thought it worth asking: has anyone else noticed this? Is there any technical reason why this might be occurring?

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I should have searched first. Apparently it's the magnets in the iPhone's speaker that causes this. It's odd, though, I never noticed this behaviour with my iPhone 4S and the same MBP.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Normal behaviour.

The MBP uses magnets to detect the lid closing. iPhones contain magnets. Placing a phone, or even headphones at the right spot will put the computer to sleep.

But I guess from your edit you now know that.