Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
looks like Android is gaining ground while the iPhone is stalling
http://gizmodo.com/5490299/android-surges-while-the-iphone-stalls-out

iphonemarketshare.jpg

I'm sure *LTD* will be saying that the numbers prove that apple is crushing google and the writing is on the wall about android's demise :D but seriously, android is making some serious inroads.

Also the numbers look pretty bleak for Palm and MS isn't looking too good either

Cerebrus' Maw

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I wouldn't read too much into this.

First up, it is only a month separation between the two statistics, and secondly, the current IPhone is entering its End of Life market value. With hordes of their handsets being deployed, Android does not have that condition.

It would be very interesting to see graphs toward the end of 2011, just to see whether the open handset market can maintain this rather dramatic growth that we have seen over the last 6 months.

Now, I wait in baited breath to see all the red eyed rabid fans to point out that MS and Palm have both lost market share... You just cant win at times!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
iPhone sales actually increased 100%, according to Apple's previous quarterly report.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/405304/apple_q4_results_show_100_increase_in_iphone_sales.html

The market expanded quite a bit, however. More phones, more models floating around - mostly Android, and some sweet deals (giveaway) on Blackberries. It's one of the by-products of fragmentation.

And remember, Apple only sells one model (two, really, with the 3G.) Android (in various versions) is currently on a whole whack of phones.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
looks like Android is gaining ground while the iPhone is stalling
http://gizmodo.com/5490299/android-surges-while-the-iphone-stalls-out

iphonemarketshare.jpg

I'm sure *LTD* will be saying that the numbers prove that apple is crushing google and the writing is on the wall about android's demise :D but seriously, android is making some serious inroads.

Also the numbers look pretty bleak for Palm and MS isn't looking too good either

I doubt these numbers are accurate. Also, they should include iPod Touch sales here because people satisfied with their phones or can't switch carriers buy iPod Touches instead.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I doubt these numbers are accurate. Also, they should include iPod Touch sales here because people satisfied with their phones or can't switch carriers buy iPod Touches instead.

I'd say they're accurate enough. ComScore is alright.

The market expanded quite a bit and RIM gained share. The iPhone's still only on AT&T. A lot of WinMo users went over to Android. The ComScore numbers seem to be in line with this. Just view the iPhone numbers in context.

Besides, the gen 4 iPhone is on the way and everyone's waiting for it.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I wouldn't read too much into this.

First up, it is only a month separation between the two statistics

Since when is October 1 month from January?

How does an iPod Touch qualify to be a SmartPhone?

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Since when is October 1 month from January?

How does an iPod Touch qualify to be a SmartPhone?

3G VOIP via skype, etc. you should try it sometime.

kidding. of course the iPod Touch is technically not a smartphone. I guess what i'm saying is showing market share of smartphones is not a true measure of the iPhone/iPod/iPad's market reach which are all part of the entire iPhone OS ecosystem.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
3G VOIP via skype, etc. you should try it sometime.

That would be VoIP over WiFi, not 3G.

Having Skype on an iPod makes it no more of a smartphone than my HP laptop which also has Skype.

EDIT: I see you edited your response. The iPhone is a smartphone so I'm not sure what you're getting at by wanting the iPod series in there. It makes no sense. The iPhone market is not the same as the iPod market. They may overlap, but they are not identical.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
That would be VoIP over WiFi, not 3G.

Having Skype on an iPod makes it no more of a smartphone than my HP laptop which also has Skype.

EDIT: I see you edited your response. The iPhone is a smartphone so I'm not sure what you're getting at by wanting the iPod series in there. It makes no sense. The iPhone market is not the same as the iPod market. They may overlap, but they are not identical.

I agree. which is why i said showing market share of smartphones is not a true measure of the iPhone/iPod/iPad's market reach which are all part of the entire iPhone OS ecosystem.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Apple confirms 3G VoIP apps on iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch; Skype is waiting

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...-ipad-iphone-ipod-touch-skype-is-waiting.html

Right, on the iPhone where it has a 3G connection. A WiFi link, which is all the iPod is capable of, is not a 3G connection.

I agree. which is why i said showing market share of smartphones is not a true measure of the iPhone/iPod/iPad's market reach which are all part of the entire iPhone OS ecosystem.

They are measuring smartphone growth, not OS growth.

By the way, use multi-quote.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
iPhone sales actually increased 100%, according to Apple's previous quarterly report.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/405304/apple_q4_results_show_100_increase_in_iphone_sales.html

The market expanded quite a bit, however. More phones, more models floating around - mostly Android, and some sweet deals (giveaway) on Blackberries. It's one of the by-products of fragmentation.

And remember, Apple only sells one model (two, really, with the 3G.) Android (in various versions) is currently on a whole whack of phones.

Yeah but the market grew by more than 100%. Apple growth in sales seems to be tied with the growth of the smartphone market. It has capped out in market share by all other signs and not really growing in that term any more.

It tells you that iPhone really not going to gain much if any more market share. If anything you can expect them to start losing marketshare. Just as you can expect RIM and Nokia to all bleed marketshare to the other guys for no other reason than they are near or passed what the max marketshare they can hold on to.

New players are entering and they will start stealing it away.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Yeah but the market grew by more than 100%. Apple growth in sales seems to be tied with the growth of the smartphone market. It has capped out in market share by all other signs and not really growing in that term any more.

It tells you that iPhone really not going to gain much if any more market share. If anything you can expect them to start losing marketshare. Just as you can expect RIM and Nokia to all bleed marketshare to the other guys for no other reason than they are near or passed what the max marketshare they can hold on to.

New players are entering and they will start stealing it away.

You're forgetting the iPhone gen 4 factor.The 3G and the 3GS got Apple to where they are now. The next iPhone will take them further. Bank on the next iPhone being a landmark release for Apple.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You're forgetting the iPhone gen 4 factor.The 3G and the 3GS got Apple to where they are now. The next iPhone will take them further. Bank on the next iPhone being a landmark release for Apple.

If they allow other carriers, they would go even farther. There's no way I'll go near AT&T for cellular.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

I will believe it when I see it.
I expect 4G iPhone to follow apple pattern of everything else they introduce. That means I expect very little in the way of an improvement.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
This is why Google has a huge advantage when it comes to grabbing market share. Their carpet bombing tactics are making huge inroads. While the iPhone is a better phone and the OS is superior. Not charging for the OS, having multiple hardware vendors and multiple carriers, gives Google a huge advantage over Apple

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Considering how Palm has released two new devices on a brand new network since the info here was collected, and is rumored to have a WebOS phone coming to AT&T in the next few months, I wouldn't be so quick to say Palm down and out.

Also consider Droid(and Nexus One for a little) are two new, top notch headsets for Android which launched in the time between the graphs. And Android as an OS saw a launch(with Droid and Droid Eris) on America's biggest network in that time two.

Apple didn't release any iPhones in that time, and have stayed with one service provider in that time.

Not saying the info isn't interesting, its just a 3 month period doesn't give us much useful info.

I expect 4G iPhone to follow apple pattern of everything else they introduce. .

I'm not really sure their is a pattern. I guess its "release big product, add little updates?"

I'd agree, but that means that they do release bomb shells into the market far more then any other company.

I'm not sure anyone here is really able to say when Apple is going to put out something huge or just a mild update. The iPod nano came basicly out of no where. And the iPhone 3Gs came at a time people were expecting/wishing for a huge upgrade.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I'm not really sure their is a pattern. I guess its "release big product, add little updates?"

I'd agree, but that means that they do release bomb shells into the market far more then any other company.

I'm not sure anyone here is really able to say when Apple is going to put out something huge or just a mild update. The iPod nano came basicly out of no where. And the iPhone 3Gs came at a time people were expecting/wishing for a huge upgrade.

Well start looking at the other products they have released.

Take the iPod classic (Big splash at release)
it changes
1. Increased sized (minor and with the times)
2. Click wheel - Cool changed but really not a big one.
3. Color LCD -- Almost falls into the times category there as others were starting to pop out color LCD and the cost of a color LCD was dirt cheap.

All in all iPod classic only had minor updates threw out its life.

iPod mini - Nano. (minor spash at release riding the iPod wave)

1. Increase in size
2. Color LCD.
3. Change to the Nano and flash memory.

The iPod shuffle went threw the most changes but even it only really had a form factor change and it was just mostly increasing in size threw out its life. (no splash at release)

iPod touch - all minor hardware updates. (minor splash at release as rode the iPhone wave)

iPhone (so far)- (Huge splash at release) mostly minor hardware updates or adding in things lesser phones already had back at day 1.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Well start looking at the other products they have released.

Take the iPod classic (Big splash at release)
it changes
1. Increased sized (minor and with the times)
2. Click wheel - Cool changed but really not a big one.
3. Color LCD -- Almost falls into the times category there as others were starting to pop out color LCD and the cost of a color LCD was dirt cheap.

All in all iPod classic only had minor updates threw out its life.

iPod mini - Nano. (minor spash at release riding the iPod wave)

1. Increase in size
2. Color LCD.
3. Change to the Nano and flash memory.

The iPod shuffle went threw the most changes but even it only really had a form factor change and it was just mostly increasing in size threw out its life. (no splash at release)

iPod touch - all minor hardware updates. (minor splash at release as rode the iPhone wave)

iPhone (so far)- (Huge splash at release) mostly minor hardware updates or adding in things lesser phones already had back at day 1.

I mean, you can't reinvent the wheel each time. I'd actually argue that the iPod nano was a pretty big jump from the iPod mini. They was certainly no reason to do anything more then spec bump the Mini from a money point of view.

I mean, what could Apple really do that would be anything more then minor updates? Screen resolution increase, better camera, flash, larger flash storage, more RAM, iChat built it, etc

All would be great, but at the end of the day, Apple can't introduce a product like the iPhone into the cell phone market. The reasons the iPhone was so darn great at the time, was because it was so far ahead of so many other devices. Apple would need to leave behind all existing iPhone users to reinvent their phone.

There was reason for Palm to take that approach for Palm OS -> Web OS, but Apple is doing wonderful, and offers a top notch product. A huge upgrade like the original iPhone isn't happening for many years.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

If we want to go including the iPod touch in smartphone marketshare, can we also include Android powered tablets, netbooks and media players too? Cool beans if so! :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Considering how Palm has released two new devices on a brand new network since the info here was collected, and is rumored to have a WebOS phone coming to AT&T in the next few months, I wouldn't be so quick to say Palm down and out.
Actually that would mean that Palm's sales would increase not decrease. We see a reduction in overall Palm sales. That's in line with other people's expectations. Palm is quickly being cast aside in the smartphone sector. Even with going verizon their sales have been anemic at best.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Whoops, my bad. Boy, is my face red now...

:)

:D I kept looking at the chart thinking I was missing something.

I don't expect the latest iPhone to introduce any hands-down must-have features. Their lack of security features is really keeping them from the enterprise market.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.18302/958; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I'm sure iPhone sales will gain steam once the fourth Gen model is released.

A friend of mine who is a big iPhone fan asked me if they should get the nexus one yesterday but I told them to wait and see what Apple will offer on the next revision before considering anything.

It makes more sense for someone already satisfied with the platform to stick with it IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.