Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen but I would be happy with the iPhone 5's size, as long it doesn't lag like the Androids offerings :p

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Which really has become my biggest beef with the Android market. Go big or go crappy. So much for choice.

The only reason I've stayed with Apple, is that I just don't like Android, but the a lot of the phones are excellent. I have quite a few friends that have the Note 3 and they all love them. Now I think that the size of the Note is redonculous, but if I liked Android and it's eco-system, I would have bailed on Apple a long time ago because of the dinky screen.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The alternative is not to go for the iPhone 6 and stay with your prior if the larger screen is not to your liking.

I certainly do not foresee the masses going to Windows or Android instead.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
If what you really want is the tablet--get the damn tablet. The 'phablet' is a ridiculous compromise.

What if what I really want is the biggest possible phone that still can fit most of my pockets. Something with a 5-6" screen or so. You know, a phablet?

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Personally, I have no problem with the 4" display. That being said, I don't mind in the slightest a size increase to 4.7" or even 5.5" so long as they continue to offer good options.

I'm sure the 5S will still be offered this year (your 4" option) as well as the 5C (another 4" option). Even at a year old, the 5S runs circles around any app you try to put on it. Will be plenty powerful for some time.

I just don't want to get into the Android situation in the future where you have to get a 5" display to get top specs. Though I still contend that's because Android OEMs can't get the type of specs/performance Apple can out of a 4" display smartphone.

I don't think Apple will continue to offer the 5s once the 6 comes out for the same reasons Apple stopped selling the 5 when the 5s came out. They will either continue to sell the 5c, or give the 5c and upgrade (basically a 5cs).

andycm81

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
Cheshire, United Kingdom
The screen size of the 5s is perfect for me. I had the Samsung Galaxy Nexus prior to this, it had a larger screen, but I don't even notice the difference!

I have my PC and iPad if I want to see something on a bigger screen!

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I think there is a corollary between screen size preference and how the phone is used (and the age of the user). Those who clamor for a giant screen or phablet are likely to be those who use the iPhone primarily as a surfing/texting device (and tend to be younger), while those who prefer a smaller screen are those who use the iPhone primarily as a phone (and tend to be older).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I am waiting for a larger iPhone - be it 5.5" of even larger. Now if Apple made an option for those who want smaller screens - so be it.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
A new 4'', 4.7'' and 5.5'' iPhone would be the perfect lineup but I doubt Apple will do so. Probably Apple will not release a new 4'' this year..

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Go into an AT&T, VZ, or T-Mobile store and look around, all these phone MFG's have huge displays and dwarf's the iPhone's 4" display. After an hour of looking around at LG, Samsung, and some other MFG's it was hard to look at my iPhone 5 again, almost had to wear classes to see the screen. Funny thing, in the three stores I was in, did not see a Blackberry at all?

Looking forward to seeing what Apple will do with the iPhone 6 either 4.7" or 5.5"

Have to say LG,a nd Samsung have some nice clear bright larger displays. GF bought a Note III, large but clear and hard to use the IP5 after playing with that for a few

I am near sighted and can see extremely small type size. I like the HD+ (Quad HD) resolution. It like eye candy for my eyes. I have no trouble with the 4" iPhones. But iPhone resolution is only 326 pixels. I have seen many Andriod phones in the 440 pixels. They are just unbelievable for my eyes. I been tempted to switch because of the screen quality of Apple's competitors. For me; I can tell the difference between 264 pixel screen and a 440 pixel screen. Those who way you cannot tell; will I think some people can - like me!

Looking forward to see what the screen density will be in the iPhone 6 and I might hold off for the 5.5" model since most smartphones are in the 5-5.5 size now. I think the 4.7" might be too "small"???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.