iPhones to get mini-USB chargers in the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Matek, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Matek macrumors 6502a

According to this article, mobile phone makers are finally preparing a universal charger for different brands. Although Apple isn't on the list yet, the European commission could very well force them to follow.

Since people often complain about proprietary connectors (I dislike them myself), I think this is a great move - not just environmentally aware, also very practical.

Your opinions?

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Apple, being American, will always want to be better different to us Europeans. So I think they will stick with their superior unique connector :D

3. Matek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not if the EC forces them to follow standards.

4. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

this sounds great and all, but my mac doesnt have a mini usb port. You only get one cord in the box now and I like it that way, if they add another, I want it to be a firewire cable, but we all know Apple dropped support of firewire on the ipods.......funny how its the only way you used to be able to charge and sync ipods......sigh....sorry just getting a bit nastalgic.

I dont want a mini usb port, I said goodbye to those when I threw my razor against the sidewalk.

5. Matek thread starter macrumors 6502a

You don't need a MicroUSB port on your computer :D. It's on the mobile device, you then use a cable that has MicroUSB on one side and USB on the other to plug your mobile phone into anything with a USB port.

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'm thinking Apple's solution would be to include a mini-USB adapter. :rolleyes:

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not included, sold separately for A$29...

8. Cravendale macrumors member

I cant imagine they will 'conform'...They will blag it due to some technical issue.

Anyway the Apple connector is compatible with all iPods/iPhones etc, which is good...

9. kicko macrumors 65816

haha no doubt! and manufactured for only a few dollars.

besides who cares about a mini usb ... it will not be universal until 2015.