iPhones to work on the Glasgow Subway (underground)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fuzzy14, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

According to this story on the Beeb, O2 is introducing coverage onto the Glasgow Subway (what we call our underground railway.)

Any other cities operate underground/metro systems with mobile phone coverage?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

also implies its not limited to iPhones too..

but good news nonetheless..

3. Lau Guest

That's a good idea, actually, having it in a few major stations. It means you won't get jabbering idiots on the whole underground journey, but you can 'check in' on emails and texts as you go through that station. A bit like on the tube, as you go through an overground bit. :)

I love the Glasgow subway, just as an entirely geeky aside :D

4. Fuzzy14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Indeed, but I was trying to make it relevant to MR!
    It says Wi-Fi too so laptops will work, although with maximum 6 minutes between trains and only 15 minutes to do the circle not sure how much use you'll get out of it!

Also not sure if other mobiles (like my Virgin/T-mobile) will work.

There were talking about introducing mobile coverage (along with FM radio) under the Clyde Tunnel, I tried phoning my pal one day (hands free of course :p) and it worked all the way through so maybe there's no need.

5. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

In all major German cities with Subways or partly underground running City-Trains (S-Bahn) you have complete GSM and mostly 3G coverage.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Darn - missed it was the glasgow subway - and was wondering if TFL had actually got it's act together and sorted something out. With the long commutes in the london tube, a 3G signal would be very useful.

7. sibruk macrumors 6502a

No, it would be bloody awful. Sitting in a confined space, being subjected to somebody yammering on about drivel at the top of their voices. No thanks.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

In Washington DC, Verizon has the exclusive deal for that. (Started in 1997.)

So no iPhones, although this may change in a year or so. They're currently negotiating with other carriers.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In NYC there is no service on the trains nor in most of the stations. A few stations have it though I don't think its because the station is wired but rather close enough to the surface to pick up a signal from outside.

I personally hope the subways themselves NEVER get any type of wireless service as I'd have to hear loud-mouthed conversations in very confined spaces my whole trip. Ugh.

Service in the stations would be ok since I could call the boss if my train was heavily delayed. :)