Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
According to this story on the Beeb, O2 is introducing coverage onto the Glasgow Subway (what we call our underground railway.)

Any other cities operate underground/metro systems with mobile phone coverage?

L

Lau

That's a good idea, actually, having it in a few major stations. It means you won't get jabbering idiots on the whole underground journey, but you can 'check in' on emails and texts as you go through that station. A bit like on the tube, as you go through an overground bit. :)

I love the Glasgow subway, just as an entirely geeky aside :D

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
also implies its not limited to iPhones too..

but good news nonetheless..

Indeed, but I was trying to make it relevant to MR!
It says Wi-Fi too so laptops will work, although with maximum 6 minutes between trains and only 15 minutes to do the circle not sure how much use you'll get out of it!

Also not sure if other mobiles (like my Virgin/T-mobile) will work.

There were talking about introducing mobile coverage (along with FM radio) under the Clyde Tunnel, I tried phoning my pal one day (hands free of course :p) and it worked all the way through so maybe there's no need.

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
In all major German cities with Subways or partly underground running City-Trains (S-Bahn) you have complete GSM and mostly 3G coverage.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Darn - missed it was the glasgow subway - and was wondering if TFL had actually got it's act together and sorted something out. With the long commutes in the london tube, a 3G signal would be very useful.

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
No, it would be bloody awful. Sitting in a confined space, being subjected to somebody yammering on about drivel at the top of their voices. No thanks.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
In Washington DC, Verizon has the exclusive deal for that. (Started in 1997.)

So no iPhones, although this may change in a year or so. They're currently negotiating with other carriers.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
In NYC there is no service on the trains nor in most of the stations. A few stations have it though I don't think its because the station is wired but rather close enough to the surface to pick up a signal from outside.

I personally hope the subways themselves NEVER get any type of wireless service as I'd have to hear loud-mouthed conversations in very confined spaces my whole trip. Ugh.

Service in the stations would be ok since I could call the boss if my train was heavily delayed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.