iPhone's won't sync video

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by w0nker, Jul 4, 2009.

1. w0nker macrumors member

w0nker

As of today, I can't sync videos to my 3G or my wife's 3GS. I had 6 movies/tv shows on mine for almost a year and now iTunes won't sync them to either iPhones. No error or anything. Acts like I don't have any selected. All other data loads and deletes fine, just no movies/tv shows.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

(3G on dev account with 3.1 beta and 3GS not on dev account with 3.0)
    :confused::confused::confused:

2. SquareHead macrumors newbie

SquareHead

I just got my first iPhone, but have had the iPod touch for a few years. I have been having the same problems adding my movies to my iPhone. I have tried at least a half a dozen times and nothing. It starts to sync and 10 seconds later it's telling me to disconnect and everything has been synced, but no video.

3. golfingdad macrumors newbie

Close But No Cigar - Syncing movies to iphone

I found a parm in itunes under the advanced menu item to "create iphone version"

This created a new movie next to my original movie...After verifying the "sync movies" option was selected, I simply tried to sync up my iphone...still no movies came over.

I've even seen posts to create a unique playlist with my movie...The good news is that can be done easily...I can even play the movie out of the itunes play list...however, the bad news is the new play list never shows after a sync

I love my new iphone but i'm lost on this one...

what are we all missing?

New 3GS iphone with 3.0 OS; Itunes 8.2.0.23

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I am not sure if the software update has made the spec for iPhone clips more demanding.

Try creating a version using Mediacoder iPhone edition. It's free software that you can Google for. I can load my clips that I created with that. I also set the iTunes/iPhone option to "Manually manage music and videos" so I just drag and drop movies to the phone.

5. dlemmon macrumors regular

I'm not sure why it wouldn't do that.

i have the latest iTunes on mac, and a 3gs. I have like 6 movies on my iPhone and haven't had any problems syncing them.

are they showing up in the capacity bar in iTunes after you sync (purple for video)?

what file format are they? I think it can take many different types, mine are all .m4v or .mp4

hope that helps narrow it down.

6. golfingdad macrumors newbie

My problem is probably that I'm in a windows XP environnment...sounds like a non issue with the apple side of the world

thanks so much for the help / guidance

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

So am I and my post above is valid for Windows XP.

8. x0x04pat macrumors newbie

Hello,

you can put video in your iPhone via iTunes. The file have to be imported in the movie folder and you have to select your movie in the property sheet of the iPhone (Video/sync movie) one by one. Be carefull of the filename.

iPhoto users need to drag files from iPhoto to iTunes in movies folder.

Files from the iPhone 3GS are .mov with h.264 codec and dont need to be reencoded. It copies directly on iPhone.

If you have another file format you need to reencode (My casio HD camera needs reencoding). I do that with Handbrake that works on mac or PC. http://handbrake.fr/

I hope Apple give us a better way as simple a it is for pictures and sync directly from iPhoto or else.

Has someone a simpler way ?

9. golfingdad macrumors newbie

getting close?

Ok here is where I'm at...I've tried handbreak and Avs Media Conv.

Both seem to make the movies fine...that is, I now have two movies sitting in my itunes movie folder...one is a M4v and the other is a Mp4 object

The AVS product says it uploading to the device, but never gets past 1%...could be because I'm using an unregistered version of the product?

Since I'm new to the iphone...assuming some day I actually get this sync thing to work, where will the movies reside on the iphone...In Itunes Videos? Will a Movies tab be present?

Not sure what to try next?

Sorry for being a novice :)

10. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Make sire your videos have the file extension m4v and not mp4. Next open the movie with iTunes and click on your iPhone. Now click on the videos tab and select the video you want to sync and click sync.

11. golfingdad macrumors newbie

I got it!

thanks all for your input...part of the issue was that the movies were not listed on the movie section in full screen mode (within itunes)...by luck, I saw the scroll bar was up 1/2 inch...once I scrolled down and saw the movies, this 25 year IT guy was pretty embarrassed...I simply checked the desired movie

thanks all

12. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

No, I'm on a mac, and I'm having the same problem. Yesterday I synced up a few movies, and today i wanted to sync up a few more, but they just weren't going through!
    iTunes says "Syncing iPod" but after a minute or two it says "Sync Complete". The synch should have taken at least ten minutes, and nothing shows up in the iPod.
    So far I've only been able to sync movies OUT of the iPod...

I noticed that in the iTunes music library, the movies had .mp4 file extensions. should i just change those to .m4v? Why should I do so, If the movies that were already synced were converted into the same format, by the same application (Handbrake 64-bit)?

13. findalize macrumors newbie

Similar prob

I converted the file to .m4v then synced up to my iPhone. It shows up purple in the capacity bar in iTunes... Also a list is displayed in the video section on my phone but there is nothing on the list. Before it used to just say there are no videos... now there is a list but no videos in it.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The list you are referring to is on the iPod app for Movies, correct?

15. spaceboy13 macrumors newbie

spaceboy13

Variation on this question

I couldn't find a better thread for my iPhone movie question. I have taken several MOV movies with qik-video (with my iPhone 3g) and now with my iPhone 4 I've taken several. All look great and fine on the iphone.

Then I transfer them to my Windows XP machine when I sync the iphone. They are of my daughter so I put them in "My Pictures" with all the still photos. Afterwards, even if I have checked "sync videos" in iTunes, the movies don't come over.

So I read a bunch of posts including this one, and was successful in importing the videos into iTunes and converting them into "iPhone format" - which seems to basically convert them from MOV to MP4/M4V. So far so good. The iPhone seems to sync fine with the converted movies and I can now see them in my iPod application under "Movies".

Despite this process seeming to be quite cumbersome for Mac products, I suppose I can live with it. What bugs me the most right now, is that once I've done this Rube Goldberg conversion dance, the videos show up in the YouTube type interface, so they play in a landscape frame although (being originated from the iPhone) they are portrait-oriented videos.

What I'd like is an app or interface similar to iBooks that can take videos, realize they are from the iphone, make them easy to convert and show them in the proper aspect ratio. I haven't found that yet.

I'm not a pro, I just tend to get more videos of my kid with the iPhone since I have it all the time. Not looking to make any great DVDs, but I would like to have easy access to these videos in an aspect ratio that I can see well.

Thanks for any advice!
    -pete