iPhoto 06 / 08 crashing on large photo import...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peanutismint, Aug 16, 2007.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I know this isn't a new problem and that other people have experienced it, but I was wondering whether anyone had managed to work out exactly why it happens.

I'm a recent switcher who wants to transfer all of my photos to my new machine. On my Windows machine, they were all stored in individual folders based on events, and then all of THEM within a single folder called 'Photos'. When I try to import this 'photos' folder, iPhoto 06 got a short way in and then simply quit, bringing up the familiar 'close/report/reopen' window.

The error message is as follows:

MAN that's a lot of text. Anyway, I thought it might just be an iPhoto 06 problem, so I went out and bought iLife 08, but the problem still remains. I thought maybe it might be something as small as iPhoto trying to import an invalid file format, like one of the random thumbnail cache files, or even a movie clip from a digital camera, but trying to bypass those kind of files still causes crashes. Any ideas?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can you do it in batches? I still think it might be a dodgy movie file.

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Also remember that if you try to import that PC file all at one time, your organization will be lost, and it will import as one large file. Try importing folder by folder to retain your organization. Each folder will import as its own roll.

Good luck, and welcome to the wondrful world of macs!

4. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Yeah, I suppose I could take four hours out of my day to import each folder separately... But lovely talented iPhoto 08 splits all my photos into events automatically, rather than all into one 'roll', so it'd be okay to do it alltogether, if only it didnt crash... I just wish there was a way to import stuff and have it separate them by folder, like Picasa....

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I still think it's a corrupt file and importing in batches may help find the culprit. After removing the file I'm guessing you'll be able to import all the files at once without crashes. :)

6. sas76 macrumors member

I was also having trouble importing via iphoto 08. About 9000 photo's

My solution was to transfer my old iphoto library to a my picture folder on my new imac. Directly copying, not importing via iphoto

In 08 I then selected this folder as my iphoto 08 library. It had to update the folder (automaticaly) It kept all of my albums and organised them perfectly and got rid of duplicate images.

I hope this helps

Cheers