iPhoto '06- organizing photos in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Hi, is there any way to make iPhoto revert to organizing photos by date, instead of Roll, in iPhoto '06? Cheers.

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Stay out of the finder!!! Do not do ANY organizing there. You will corrupt and/or lose your photos! Do anything to/with your photos from within the app itself.

In the app, just tell it to organize by date. That will eliminate the roll view, but all will be sorted by date. The rolls are already sorted by date, so not really sure what it is you are trying to do.

You can also create folders and albums to manage your photos, and sort them any way you want.

If this does not address your question, please post back with more information. Just stay out of the library in finder!

3. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

Is it possible to edit the text that displays in the grey bezel when dragging the scrollbar while viewing he Library? Basically, I have my pictures in there and the section of pictures that I can see does not correspond (name or date) to the text being displayed. Thanks

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Not really sure what you mean. Are you talking about the list of albums and folders on the left of the iPhoto app? If so, just double click on the title and it should open up and let you edit. If you are talking about something else, please explain. I hope you are not talking about the lists in the library in finder. Renaming or doing anything to them in there will result in lost photos, etc. Don't do it. Let's just talk about what is going on in the app itself. Stay out of the finder.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I am talking about in the Finder, in '05 photos were organizing by, for example, 2007>12>1, ie the 1st of December 2007. Now, they're under Modified>2007> Roll ### which is stupid because I have to blindly search for them. What I want to know is whether or not there's a way to revert to organizing by date within Finder.

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a

What part of "stay out of the finder" do you not understand? Don't do it! Work within the app itself, or abandon iPhoto for something else! You can't have it both ways! iPhoto organizes things the way it wants to, and users are not meant to mess with it. Search the forums for people who have found only gray rectangles with question marks, and you will see the result of messing about in finder! You WILL, not MIGHT, screw things up if you go messing about in the finder! Do anything to/with your photos from within the app!!! Apple has even changed the structure in iPhoto 7 so that the photos are not shown in the finder -- just to keep people from corrupting their files by messing about in there! I can't stress enough -- STAY OUT OF THE FINDER if you want to use iPhoto!!!!!

7. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Where've you put the tranquillizers?

Seriously though, you think I would take that kind of time? I'll fumble through stupid 'Rolls' if I have to; they're my only complaint with the upgrade.

8. skybolt macrumors 6502a

If you work with iPhoto the way it is meant to be worked with, it is all so easy. By trying to work within the finder, you are making it hard on yourself and your photos. If you change anything in there, the app cannot find your photos, and returns errors. The time you spend on rebuilding, looking for lost photos, etc. will not be worth the grief you will cause yourself by working in the finder. Upgrade to '08 and you will find "Events" to be better. Just let the software work for you -- don't micromanage! That is so "Windows"!

9. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yeah, it was easy with 05 then they had to mess it up. The reason I like the Finder is because I frequently email pictures, and doing that thru iPhoto is very time consuming and not as simple as Finder [was]. I'm not GOING to change anything but wanted to know if there was some simple way to revert; apparently there's not. Events are not intuitive whatsoever; I've used 08. As for Windows, excuse me for using iPhoto for 4 years as I previously have been, then have Apple switch filing methods on me.

10. migulic macrumors member

I don't know how emailing pictures from iPhoto is difficult: just drag them to the Dock icon of your mail client from the iPhoto window itself! Unless this functionality was introduced in 08 (which I have), it should just be a matter of drag-and-drop.

Also, just a question since I've never used iPhoto before 08. How did you organize photos without Events? Did you keep them all in one big library and make albums?

11. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

My question was with regard the the gray rectangle that displays over top of the thumbnails when scrolling through the Library. For example, if I'm scrolling over pictures from a vacation it might say "Bermuda July 2007." However, what displays in my gray rectangles does not correspond to the pictures I am scrolling over. I might see "Spain 2006" display as I scroll over the thumbnails for a family birthday party.

Is there a way to edit the text and dates that display in that gray rectangle? The text has to pull from somewhere, I simply don't know where. Thanks.

12. skybolt macrumors 6502a

As Migulic said, how hard is it to drag a photo to the desktop to email? Or, what is wrong with using the email feature of iPhoto? Either is one or two clicks, and you can be assured of getting the right photo, and the most current version of that photo.