iPhoto '08 7.1.5 says "no items"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SylviaW, Apr 10, 2010.

1. SylviaW macrumors newbie

(Please forgive the cross-post; I first tried the Digital Photography forum, but no help. The folks there are beyond the iPhoto stage, most likely...)

Hi, all -- having trouble getting photos from my camera into the computer; can you help?

• iMac with OS 10.5.8 and iPhoto '08 7.1.5
    • Canon PowerShot G6

I last successfully imported pics on March 28, no problems. But starting on April 3, when I try to import, the Devices list shows the camera, but the Information box says "No items."

I tried restarting the Mac; no luck. I tried various cycles of turning off/on the camera, unplugging/replugging the USB cable, and trying a different USB port. No change.

Suggestions? Many thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

In iPhoto, do you have checked "Hide photos already imported" on the Import screen? Have you taken any more images since that date? Does Image Capture show the images you aren't seeing in iPhoto?

3. SylviaW thread starter macrumors newbie

No, Hide photos isn't checked. Yes, have new images on the camera.

Not familiar with Image Capture; happy to try. Can you please give me instructions?

Thanks.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Image Capture is found in /Applications. Launching it with your digital camera connected should show, like iPhoto, the contents of your camera. They will be imported to a folder you specify, not into iPhoto, but if you can get them visible in Finder you can import via drag/drop to iPhoto.

5. SylviaW thread starter macrumors newbie

Image Capture sees my camera but says "0 items."

What do you think is going on?

What next -- buy a card reader?

Thanks, JediMeister.

6. SylviaW thread starter macrumors newbie

USB card reader ($15 at local office supply big box store) easily read the CF card and all pics are now on the iMac.

Thanks again.