iPhoto 08 backup to dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nobita, May 28, 2009.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, here's the situation:

I have iPhoto 08 and I want to back up my photos in dvds. Currently the way I backup is this:

1. Selecting the events that i have not backup, then I burn them into dvd.
    2. For events that I haven't backed up, I add keywords for the photos (using apple-K of course) and the keyword is "to backup".

However iPhoto does not allow me to label events. I actually wanted to label events instead of photos because that's they way I backup them to dvd. Does anyone aware of any way to do this?

Secondly, would you guys think it's a good idea to delete photos off my hard drive once I back them up? I still have 30GB free space out of my 160GB hard drive. Just that I have to watch it out from now (and I take about 0.3GB to 0.6GB photos per month on average).

I am planning on buying a larger hard drive (to either 320GB or 500GB), but I think that would happen once my free space falls below 15GB. I mean, memory just becomes cheaper literally every single day. So I thought why not wait until I really need it.

If there's any professional photographers around, please share your backup techniques with me =)

P.S. does upgrading to iphoto 09 worth it? Or shall I wait until iPhoto 10? It's only 7 more months...

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

How large is your iPhoto library? If it will fit on one DVD, it's easier and simpler to just back up the whole thing. If that won't work for you because your library is too big, or will soon become too big, there's a neat little workaround you can use.

First, make a disk image of the iPhoto library in Disk Utility.
    Second, if it's still too big, use this trick to split it then burn the resulting segments to DVD.

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You can label Events anything you want to. Just go into the Events view and double-click on the name. Or am I missing what you are asking?

As for upgrading, I think iPhoto '09 alone is worth the price of the upgrade, not counting the rest of the suite. Faces is pretty cool, but for me, since I do a lot of travel photography, Places is just awesome.

4. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not what I really wanted, not to name the events. What I meant is like the keywords that shows up when we press apple-K in the photos. This does not work for events...