iPhoto 08- Buggy, slow, and disappointing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jimbama, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jimbama macrumors newbie

Just spent my first evening of fairly intensive work in iPhoto 08 and am sadly very disappointed with it. I wrote about this briefly yesterday in another post but noticed more problems after working with it last night, so I'm curious to see if anyone else has these problems.

- SLOW. Things seemed mostly normal with light use but once I got into making adjustments on photos, everything came to a halt. The sliders have lost all fluidity- they move choppily, making it difficult to make precise adjustments, and the corresponding photo changes seem to take a second to kick in. Neither of these problems existed in the previous version. Worst of all, after making adjustments and trying to close a photo, I get 5 seconds of the spinning beach ball. Again, never happened with the previous version.

- Buggy. Besides many random cases of the spinning beach ball, one mysterious problem that I ran into was having all of the sliders and buttons on the Adjustment panel disappear. Some would come back after moving the cursor over where they were supposed to be, but not all of them. It was fixed after quitting and restarting iPhoto, but odd nonetheless.

I suppose it could be a problem with my system, but it seems unlikely as it is fairly new (iMac C2D 2.16 with 3GB ram), and like I said everything worked fine before I made the update.

I realize that there are more professional apps out there for doing this kind of work, but iPhoto worked fine for me before. I'm having trouble understanding why a newer, supposedly enhanced (events? ugh.) version seems to work so much more poorly than it's predecessor.

Between this and iMovie, i'm beginning to wish I had saved my money...

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is no 15 days return policy for softwares?

My guess is ilife 08 was meant for leopard..... there might be some stuff that apple didn't really test well on Tiger...

3. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I haven't had the best experience with the new iPhoto. After working with the new one, it feels really slow, and I don't like the new viewing layouts and events. I don't have that many photos, so events doesn't mean much to me, although skiming is pretty neat.

I will try and live with it for a little while (maybe until some updates) and if I still don't like it, I will go back to '06.

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Do you think our libraries would work ok in iPhoto 06 now ? I'm not a fan of the events really. It sorta messed up the way I had my library designed previously.

Also, I miss the navigational buttons and whatnot.