iPhoto 08 crashing, hanging and not working at all

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by treichert88, Aug 12, 2007.

1. treichert88 macrumors newbie

Ever since I updated to iPhoto 08 this morning practically nothing works as it's supposed to. When I start iPhoto, the normal iPhoto window comes up showing my photos. I can scroll through them and even zoom around but as soon as I click anything iPhoto starts to act up. Editing photos simply does not do anything as iPhoto will either hang or do nothing. When I click events in the source pane my photos disappear only showing a grey background and iPhoto hangs. If I use expose at that time certain UI widgets will disappear. As soon as I click the close button iPhoto will either quit without saying anything or crash with the normal "application unexpectedly quit"-message.

I really don't understand what the problem is....
    Already updated to 7.0.1, repaired permissions, rebooted, reinstalled it, created a new library (while even no photos in a library will show the same symptoms) and deleted caches and the preferences.

I'm a little desperate here as iPhoto is actually the one iLife application besides iWeb that I actually use...

2. mark476p macrumors newbie

Dont' worry, you're not the only person. There have been similar complaints at Apple's Discussion Forums. At least your photos aren'tt disappearing yet. Backup your photos!

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

iPhoto 08 appears to be a bit of an ar*e. When you try to open a photo in Photoshop, it starts iPhoto !! .... :mad::confused:

4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I was having the same problem now its fine. Im not sure why its sorted itself out, but it did.

5. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

im having the same problems

espically when trying to edit photos, it freezes up and then whenever i go back to that photo, by just going through photos it will freeze also

i am going to see if i get any luck from the update

6. treichert88 thread starter macrumors newbie

thak god i'm not the only one....
    today i (once again) completely wiped it from my drive and reinstalled it but of course that did not change anything. was more like a painful act of desperation :eek:

while installing it again i thought that maybe it has something to do with those imagekit components that are installed or in my case already have been installed because of the iwork trial on my mac but i'm not exactly big on going through the hassle of removing iwork AND ilife once again...

7. craigwreid macrumors newbie

iPhoto crtashing here too

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem. iPhoto works fine but as soon as I select another application it dies and I get the "Report to apple thing". It's driving me nuts. If anyone here's of a fix please let me know. I will continue to investigate and try to find a fix. Seems to be some major problems as I can't even get into the iPhoto discussion borads this morning on the apple support site...arrrggghh!!!!!

8. Rogier macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am facing similar problems as the ones described above. Also, I notice that when I start iPhoto '08 that it consumes truckloads of my CPU capacity (up to 90%, for iPhoto and an application called mds), which makes my fans go crazy... Do you guys also have this problem? I am using an Macbook Core2Duo 2 GHz with 2 GB of RAM.

Cheers

9. Joey1806 macrumors newbie

Joey1806

Okay,

My iPhoto app stopped working since the past few days. And by "stopped working" I meant I can't even browse through my photos. But it worked fine when I plugged in my Canon DSLR camera for importing. After that, it hanged like nobody's business.

I'm running XP on BootCamp and just installed The Sims 3 :cool: on it. I was wondering whether is it because of the Sims 3 installation that caused iPhoto to malfunction?

Thanks in advance.