iPhoto '08 disorganized my photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bsolomonny, Aug 14, 2007.

1. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I just installed I-Life 08. Before i could efficiently search for pics in the finder because they were organized under the name when i uploaded. They were also in categories like modified and originals. now they are just all listed in my finder under photos. Is there a way to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Ben

2. blybug macrumors 6502a

blybug

You probably won't like this answer...but (according to Apple) you're not supposed to search through your photos using the Finder's folder structure, you're supposed to use iPhoto for that. And to some degree, it's true, if you just let iPhoto do its thing and forget about the cryptic Finder file structure underneath it actually is easier and more convenient than rifling through all those folders. Not to mention you can screw up your iPhoto Library by digging around in the Finder manually.

I recall going through this with iTunes...for years I had all my MP3s organized in Finder folders the way I wanted them, and resisted letting iTunes organize my library. Then finally I realized all the features and tools I needed to maintain a music library were built into iTunes, and the Finder was really weak in that regard.

It is different somehow with photos, where you may often want to do things with them other than what iPhoto has to offer...but you can rename, sort, search, edit (within iPhoto or with another program), rotate, email, upload, slideshow, export, and much more from within iPhoto...what else do you need to do with photo files that requires manipulating them in the Finder? You can even drag directly from the iPhoto window into virtually any other window or application, just like it was a Finder window.

Having said all that, the new iPhoto Library is really just a special kind of folder, a package. If you right (control) click it and select "Open Package" you will see all your folders, Originals, Modified, etc. But don't mess them up!!

3. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

I was trying to find a photo to to send via msn. I tried clicking on the i-photo library but nothing happened. Any suggestions?

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Find the photo from within the iPhoto application and select it. Then, use the export function to put a copy onto the desktop. You will have some export options, if you want.

Then, with msn, just attach the photo from the desktop to your e-mail (or whatever).

ft

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Just drag and drop the picture onto your Desktop and then attach it to your email. I've never had to use "Export" menu, yet. Actually, if you are using Mail.app, you might be able to just drag and drop it onto your email.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I was actually just having this conversation with a friend. It used to be that iPhoto rearranged all your photos. Then at some point ('06?) they stopped doing that and you could organize any way you wanted. Now they reorganize for you again? That's bizarre....

The point my friend was making is that 20 years from now iPhoto might not exist. Then you'll want your photos organized in some reasonable fashion.

As long as '08 has a reasonable organization, it might not be too bad -- as others have said, the easiest way to find a photo is to locate in iPhoto and drag to the desktop.