Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deanoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Hi All,
I've just got my first Mac and have been using IPhoto whilst I was on vacation. I know have about 20GB of photos in IPhoto and would like to copy them on to a USB drive on my network so that I can keep a backup copy and also have them in a location that I can access with my Windows pc's.

I've found where the pictures are stored in Finder but I've also read that going in and touching them in the location is a big no no.

So my question is will simply copying the pictures from here cause me problems and does IPhoto have an option to backup the contents of IPhoto.

Thanks

Deano

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Apple's backup program has a script created for backing up your IPhoto library. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the photos out of IPhoto as I'd like to also store them on my external hd.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
For sharing with a PC, that might not be the best way. What you need is a program that will extract them out into the separate Albums without having to deal with iPhotos own internal management of the photos and the extra thumbnail support.

Automator may give you a Mac way to do that.

With Leopard, the Backup will be better because it doesn't have to backup the entire library everytime. I would treat Backups and Sharing with Windows PCs on the network two separate tasks. With Windows, exporting or publishing the photos is a better term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.