iPhoto 08 issues... who has them?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rexone, Oct 4, 2007.

1. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    Hi all,
    Having recently installed iPhoto 08 I have a few, hmmmm, shall we say, observations I would like to share & ask for your comments.
    Initially I was quite impressed, many worthy changes & certainly more powerful tools. The events function is a fantastic way to get images organised easily.
    But... after a while i started to find all sorts of problems arising. I should say I have well over 7000 images in my library including a lot of RAW stuff. In many cases RAW & the simultaneously shot jpg.
    First issue was that it started to get slow, very slow. (2ghz intel iMac with 2g RAM and over 100G of spare disc space).
    Then the first total OMG moment... images gone. They show as a thumbnail, they will export from thumbview, when clicked on you just get a blank screen which oddly will still allow you to view photo info. Searching for the image will reveal it in the place its supposed to be. It can be opened with preview etc etc. iPhoto just won't see it.
    All Apple advice on fixing this was followed to no avail.
    Advice on the Apple forums was terribly helpful but fruitless http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1111834&tstart=0
    If you search the Apple forums you'll find many similar problems pop-up.

SO, thats just the tip of the iceberg for me.
    What are the experiences of others?
    One of my thoughts was that perhaps Apple was so busy building iPhoto 08 as a programme that's optimised for Leopard they neglected to ensure its stability under other versions of the OS.
    Thanks for reading & I'll be interested to read your thoughts.
    cheers
    Rex

2. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

Okay let me say I never used the old version, i started using mac right after the new iLife came out. But, let me say...its EXTREMELY buggy, compared to most of the other applications in iLife - GarageBand, and iMovie works like a dream. iPhoto WAS fast when i had a small amount of photos, but I (like you) have a lot of photos - and it seems like the more photos i load, the slower it gets. I was hoping it would get better with that iLike update they did a couple of weeks ago. But no, lol.

3. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    Heres another cute bug. I've just found that in the attempts at fixing the problems all my older images have lost their file details. So many of the images in my library now have the date of 1/1/2003...
    Ohhhh, this just gets better & better.

4. stoof macrumors newbie

did anyone ever figure out solutions to some of these problems ? i too am finding iphoto 08 to be full of irritations, the major one of which is that thumbnails get somehow grayed (greyed?) out. this even extends to uploading to web galleries,, the thumbnails there get grayed out too !
    any progress ?

5. gavinauzzie macrumors member

gavinauzzie

Yeah is noticed the same problem when i scanned about 100 pictures.. they didn't display in the event window.. It still showed the info on the side but just no picture.

another problem i have just found is with the plugin i downloaded for facebook. its called facebook exporter, it was working fine the other day, but i tried yesterday and it keeps prompting me with an error "Cannot upload due to unknown error".. now this is really annoying me. does anyone know why this is happening?..