iPhoto '08 library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sine-nomine, Jan 20, 2008.

1. sine-nomine macrumors regular

I have what may be an extremely stupid question, but here it goes anyway:

I have an iBook G3. It used to run Jaguar and had an old version of iPhoto. For a while, I used iPhoto to import pics from my camera, and when it did, they were stored in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2008/01, for example. While cool, iPhoto was very slow, so I eventually started using my camera software instead. Now, I don't have a choice, since I replaced the hard disk and installed Tiger, I don't have iLife at all now, so I can't look to try to answer this question myself.

Ok, so my girlfriend recently bought a 2Ghz Santa Rosa MacBook. She has been using iPhoto '08 to import pics from her camera, but she says she can't find where they are on disk. I told her where they had been in my version, but she says iPhoto Library is not a folder, that it is an application, and when she double clicks on it, it opens iPhoto. Every scrap of info I've been able to find says that things are instead still roughly like they were in Jaguar. I won't be able to see her until next week, so I have no idea how to help her.

My question is this: Has Apple changed the iPhoto Library? Does it now store pics in some monolithic database file? Or does it do as before and iPhoto Library is really a folder and the pics are in subfolders sorted by iPhoto in some way, much like iTunes?

It will likely be next week before I can personally look at it and see what's going on. I feel like it's user error - it took over 3 frustrating hours on iChat the other night to help her open a pdf that she insisted up and down was a ppt file. I was ready to tear my hair out. Anyway, thank you in advance.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can right-click the package to say 'Show Package Contents' and see the whole messy filesystem :)

3. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet - thank you! I am ashamed to admit that I totally expected it to be user error on her part after all the hours I've spent on iChat just trying to help her print something from Pages and little things like that. Anyway, thank you again. :eek:

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

WARNING: Mucking around in the iPhoto 08 library, ie. moving files, reorganizing and whatnot, WILL corrupt the library and make a really big headache for the owner. Best to just let iPhoto keep track of the actual files.

If she needs a certain photo, drag it from iphoto to the desktop or wherever she needs it.

5. Nuala Mahon macrumors newbie

iPhoto Library

I have a similar problem with iPhoto. I like to keep my photos in files in the Picture folder and pull them into iPhoto to work on them. I have iPhoto 08 also. After I have worked on them I want to replace them in my Pictures sub folders and delete all trace from iPhoto Library - not a big deal!! However in order to remove a photo from iPhoto Library I have to use the search window (I have a touch pad and not a mouse so no right click). I have to delete the photo from Originals, then from Data and then from Modified. What a palaver and now I hear it will corrupt my iPhoto Library.:mad:

6. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

@robert: She doesn't really want to use iPhoto for anything other than importing photos from her camera. It's still too slow a program to become a 'Finder for photos' for her.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then she would be better organizing them herself in finder, using image capture to import and avoiding iphoto altogether.

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

You can always use CTRL + left click to perform a right click. Depending on the age of your laptop you can set a two finger tap to do right click (which is what I prefer).

9. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

what about if you want to attach a photo within an email (not Mail, something like hotmail)? How dou attach the photos using the emails attachment browser?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Using finder or iPhoto as your organizer? Either way you could drag and drop the photo on to the window that pops up when you go to attach a file, screenshot below ...

Attached Files: