iPhoto '08 Non-Destructive image editing question?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by todd2000, Aug 16, 2007.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I want to buy iLife 08, and have a question about iPhoto. If I understand it properly instead of making a copy of your images when you edit them(Like iPhoto 6), iPhoto 8, uses the original file, and just stores the "instructions" (or whatever you want to call it)to display your edited image. If this is the case then what happens if I drag the photo out of my iPhoto library, and open it with another program, or a friend opens it or something? Do they see the edited image? I would seem that if iPhoto doesn't modify your original image, and only uses instructions, then how do programs other then iPhoto display the edited image? Hope that made sense :)

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I believe it actually creates a new file, and saves the origianl untouched file.

3. MacGeek Pro macrumors member

iPhoto '08 does store the original photo and then automatically makes a copy of it to modify. Hence, if you select an edited photo and decide you'd rather have the original back, you can go to the Photos menu and select Revert to Original.

If you want to find the original photo in the Finder, right click (or Ctrl+Click) on the iPhoto Library package, and select Show Package Contents From the expanded package you can navigate to either a Modified folder or an Originals folder.

Cheers. :)

4. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Do either of you actually have iLife 08, and can verify this? If so this is exactally the same as iPhoto 6. I was under the impression that iPhoto 08 worked like Apeature, which doesn't make copies of the originals.

5. ventro macrumors 6502a

I thought it would only save the mathematical operations used to change the colors, instead of creating a copy. Kind of a waste of space to do the latter.

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Yes I have iPhoto 08, and it does create a duplicate file, if you right click on the edited photo, you can chooise see original or see file, as you can see below there are two copies of the edited file

Attached Files:

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thats kinda dumb, I figured it would work more like Aperture, according to this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iPhoto/7.0/en/11464.html, the difference between 6, and 7 seems to be that you can edit an image as many times as you want and it will only make one copy. So if you chage the brightness or something, then decide later you want to crop it, you wont end up with two copies of the image.

EDIT: Nevermind I just test this with iPhoto 6, and you don't get 2 copied if you edit an image twice. So what exactly is new in iPhoto 08?

8. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

The Apple site has a good description of what's new. As for non-destructive editing, that's not in iPhoto and pretty much only with 'pro' photo applications such as Aperture or Lightroom.

9. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah well they seem to be implying that iPhoto 7s Non-Destructive image editing works differently then iPhot 6, but I can't figure out what the difference is. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iPhoto/7.0/en/11464.html

10. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Finally upgraded to iLife 08 and noticed the same thing. I was hoping that I'd be able to reclaim disk space from all those "non-destructuve" edited photos (essentially edited duplicates of the originals) but that does not appear to be the case.

Edit: Never mind, rereading another post elsewhere, it looks like what's new is that the edits you make are never fully committed and can be continually tweaked from the original set of edits so that the edit you are working isn't a 2nd, 3rd or more generation edit of the original.

11. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

MY understanding is that iPhoto 7 ('08) saves a modified jpeg when you make edits (as well as a mathematical list of changes), but if you reopened it again for further edits, it reopens the original (not modified) and reapplies the edits, so the picture is only ever edited 'once'.