iPhoto 08 not reading my library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jesse1313, Feb 21, 2010.

1. jesse1313 macrumors newbie

I'll start by saying how I got to this position...

A while back my iMac completely died and I had to get everything replaced, including the harddrive. When I went to install Snow Leopard, it said my harddrive was formatted incorrectly...

So, I backed up all my stuff, including my iPhoto 08 library by copying the Library file onto an external HD. I'm sure this isn't the best way of doing it, but that's what I did. Then I reformatted via the Snow Leopard disc.

Now, after installing Snow Leopard, reinstalling iPhoto 08 from my Leopard disc and downloading and installing all the current updates, iPhoto is saying that my library was made in a newer version and it can't open it.

I can't see how this could be true, considering it's the same version I was using previously. If anything it would have been an older version.

I assume upgrading to iPhoto 09 will solve the problem, but I don't see why I should have to pay for a program I already own.

:confused:

2. jesse1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now it's gotten even better... Little Snitch wouldn't work, and now I get stuck at the blue screen on start up. Fun!

3. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Can you start with the DVD? And did you repair permissions?

4. jesse1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just re-installed Leopard (SL was giving me too many issues and I just need a working computer for now and then I'll figure out SL later).

I'll have to download the updates for iPhoto again once I get a chance.

(Unfortunately I live in Australia where we have terribly small data usage limits... ie I can only download 12GB each month, so I've gotta ration it out)

I'll post back here when I know if it's still causing problems. Thanks!