iPhoto '08: remove dead links

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TemeculaMac, Sep 7, 2007.

1. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm new to the mac, and obviously to iPhoto. I have iPhoto '08 and have imported all of my photos. I have aprox 8,000 pix, and with each picture...I have a small 3k thumbnail. Unfortunately, I imported all of the thumbnails...which are completely useless to me (only use them on my website).

So, having a unix mentality I thought I'd be smart and just move the thumbnails with the following command:

find . -name '*JPG' -size -4000c -exec mv {} /Users/xxxx/thumb_pix/ \;

The above command just moved every file less than 4,000 bytes to a directory outside of my Pictures folder (where the iPhoto library resides). So the big problem now, is that the thumbnails in iPhoto are still displaying as an image. If I click on it, it's a dead link now (which I would completely expect).

My question is: How can I remove all images in iPhoto that have dead links? It's frustrating to see 8,000 thumbnails that no longer exist on disk.

Many thanks,
    Gary

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try rebuilding the iPhoto library... All modifications to the libraries of iTunes and iPhoto should be done through those respective apps to ensure stuff like this doesn't happen. Mate, you were too smart for your own good! :p

3. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Great link!!! Thank you very much for this info. I'll try rebuilding it, and pray it works. If it doesn't, then I learned my lesson the hard way ;)

Thanks again!!!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Hoping to try it today, once I get out of these horrendous meetings :D I'll be sure to report back.

Thanks!

6. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

I was very hopeful that this would work, but it unfortunately did not. I checked every possible rebuild option, but all of my dead links are still showing up as thumbnails :mad:

Thanks for the great suggestion - I really thought it'd work. I'll keep researching...

Many thanks,
    Gary

7. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

With the help of a co-worker's advice, I was able to get everything back to normal. I simply moved all of my pix to another location, removed all of the thumbnails with the find command specified. I then re-opened iPhoto, and created a new library. Now that I had an empty library, I just imported all of the photos.

Everything is great now! Many thanks for your help...

8. murtini macrumors newbie

Wish I had coworkers as helpful as that at my office ... ;)

9. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Ya...it's hard to find good help these days, especially from co-workers :D Thanks for your help murtini...it worked out beautifully!