iPhoto '08 slowness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Loa, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

iPhoto '08 is the first app that shows my computer's age. I have a single 1.8GHz first generation G5 tower, with original 5200fx vid card and 1.5Gigs of RAM.

iPhoto is slow all around for me: loading up, moving from one image to the next, magnifying (after double-clicking) is choppy and the de-blur takes about one second...

I've checked ever potential software cause: iPhoto's prefs, I've cleaned the caches, rebuild the (6000+) library... Nothing speeds it up. I'm pretty sure it's not a software issue, but a good old hardware bottleneck.

But which??? Low ram, vid card, aging processor? I'd gladly buy an additionnal Gig of RAM if I thought it would speed iPhoto!

Anyone here knows?

Thanks

Nisaea

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

RAM won't fix the problem, your looking at motherboard and processor is your cause, and to some degree your video card. Time to upgrade to a MacBook Pro, you won't regret it.

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. It's frustrating... I use iPhoto all the time and it's the only app that's slowing me down. Feels strange to upgrade my tower because of one app!

And if I do upgrade, it's going to be for another tower, not those MacBooks, sexy though they are!

:)

Nisaea

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Make sure that everything is working fine with your iPhoto - there may be a problem somewhere - I can't believe that a machine with your specs would bog down so much with this app... unless Apple is making Microsoft style inefficient bloat software these days. iPhoto is a pig, not doubt, but not such an outrageous one as to defeat your computer. And Apple really needs to re-think the bloat in general. I for one, refuse to use iPhoto.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

08 feels faster than 06 on my G4's. Your G5 should be more than powerful enough. Check your activity monitor while you are using the program, see if anything strange is happening in the background.

6. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I've forced iPhoto '08 to rebuild everything, and the results are the same: '08 feels *much* slower than '06.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get used to it.

Nisaea

7. Bigtree macrumors 6502

8. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Updated: no change... Looks like my tower needs a facelift. Or a new face altogether....

Thanks

Nisaea