iPhoto '08 view options not working.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boredandlonely, Mar 21, 2010.

1. boredandlonely macrumors member

Somehow I messed up my iPhoto view options in both the Library:Events, and Library:photos views. Please help.

What I had, that I want back:
    1. Library:Events= These WERE displayed in a list (similar to finder windows displayed by list), and when I turned down the triangle for each event, thumbnails of the pictures within would show up just 'below' the event name.
    2. Library:photos= These WERE displayed the exact same way, with the same event names. Events vs. Photos views displayed the same was a bit redundant, but it worked well for me.
    *The Import view still displays this way. i.e. correctly: (see pic)

[​IMG]

What I have now:
    1. Library:Events= A few months ago, they suddenly changed, and now events appear tiled as large icons. Luckily the event names still appear to be intact.

[​IMG]

2. Library:photos= Somehow I hit the wrong sorting option, and now ALL these photos are no longer displayed within events (folders(?) of photos). They all show up en masse. They APPEAR to be in the same order as before, but just not subdivided and labeled into events.

[​IMG]

Notes:
    1. I tried replacing the following prefs from a known good backup with no success:
    -Username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.LSSharedFileList.plist
    -Username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist
    -Username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iphotomosaic.plist
    2. I tried to turn on event titles, via 'View > Event Titles', in both Photos View, and Events View modes, both with, and without items selected, and in all four cases, 'View > Event Titles' is not selectable, but is ghosted (nor is it already checked).
    3. I tried to create new events in the Library:photos by selecting a photo, then 'Events>Create Events', and it will only add the event into Library:Events.
    4. I tried hitting "Undo" right after the screwup, and it wasn't selectable.
    5. I tried "force quit" when "undo" didn't work, but it was too late . =(

My questions:
    1. Help?

Thanks in advance.

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Interestingly, I've never really seen them the way you HAD them, I see them as you have them now.

I occasionally see the events broken/subdivided, but I only see them when I am doing a search or something.

Did you recently upgrade to iPhoto 09?

Anyway, I found how to replicate the subdivisions - select some events and then double click to open. That said, I'm not sure if you can make that default view.

As I said, I've always had it how you have it now.

3. boredandlonely thread starter macrumors member

"Mostly" solved.

In Library:photos view, you need to set "View>Sort Photos>By Date", THEN you will be able to set "View>Event Titles", which solves the problem.

I got the solution from a helpful user on Apple's Discussion forum. Apparently, this viewing setup is only available in 'Library:photos', and NOT in 'Library:Events'. I know this at least wasn't always the case, but apparently is so now. It's very annoying that in 'Library:Events' when working with splitting/merging events, each event is a giant 1.25"x1.25" tiled icon. Yes, I know there is a size slider at the bottom of the window, but no, it doesn't affect event tiled icons. It only affects the size of the photo previews/icons/thumbnails WITHIN the events.