iPhoto 08 - What happened to the "Brightness" slider in "adjust" ???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maximus1323, Aug 11, 2007.

1. maximus1323 macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed? When going into "edit" and then "adjust", the window is missing the "Brightness" adjustment. Am I missing something here??

Okay...I see what they did (looked in "Help")..."To make manual exposure or contrast adjustments, click the Adjust button and drag the Exposure or Contrast controls.

Exposure describes the lightness or darkness of an entire photo. When you adjust exposure, every part of the image gets lighter or darker. Contrast is the difference between light and dark. If you increase contrast, the light parts get lighter and the darks get darker. If you decrease contrast, the difference between light and dark decreases."

This is absolutely stupid. The exposure control should always be separate from brightness and contrast. So far, the "New and Improved" version of iLife has been a disappointment. iMovie 08 absolutely sucks (06 HD is superior and that's why they offer it as a download for free) and iPhoto is not that much of an improvement at all. I understand that they want to sell more Aperture and Final Cut but I think this is a really lame way to do it. We're not stupid, Apple!

2. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Just use the sliders on the levels graph. Dragging them has always resulted in much better brightness enhancements than the stupid useless brightness slider.

3. gerbilbox macrumors regular

Yes, use the level sliders right below the histogram, especially the middle (midtone) slider. I've always found them a lot more powerful and easier to get what I want than using brightness.