iPhoto '09/Aperture Book issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hpwg, Jul 28, 2009.

1. hpwg macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've just been on holiday and took a bunch of photos with my Olympus Tough 850SW. (I left the DSLR at home - which now I may regret).

It's 8mb pixels and take a reasonable 3248x2436 resolution picture.

At first I had a play in iPhoto on just what the 'book' feature was capable of, but then moved across to Aperture as you have more control on the size of the drop boxes for the images (I've got a couple of panoramas I need to fit in).

My issue is this - in iPhoto, when I chose an image to be a full page in the book it gives me the quality warning (I don't get this in Aperture - not sure if it is because it doesn't have the same alert feature, or maybe it can handle different images?).

Do you know why it would give me a resolution warning (large hard cover book theme) when my resolution seems high enough? Is there a way around this? Or do I just have to order and hope for the best?

I'd hate to spend time/money only to get a poor quality print out in return.

Thank you.

HG

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had this problem as well because the link from Aperture to iPhoto is decidedly low-res. I exported the images I wanted to as full size tiff images (or png I forget) and imported those into iPhoto. I was able to produce the book without any warning or issues. Its rather a pain but at least you guarantee the image quality.

3. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

I made a book and a calendar with a series of photos from various holidays and both came up with the warning but I went ahead anyway and ordered. Both the calendar and the book are absolutely fantastic and the warnings were definitely not relevant. All the photos that had warnings look just as good as the ones without warnings. There doesn't seem to be any problem. And with that resolution I think you will be absolutely fine as mine were smaller than that.

This was iphoto btw.

4. hpwg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me - this sounds okay then.

My photos were directly from the camera to iPhoto.

Since you've reassured me on that problem. Any thoughts re: the book.

Is the aperture end book product the same as the iphoto? Eg; Paper quality etc..

Thanks!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe its the same. I've always used the iPhoto book for some reason,probably because I also purchase calendars and Aperture does not have this as an option which always baffled me.