iPhoto '09 - Clean up stored pictures in "library"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ilovethesun, Dec 10, 2009.

1. ilovethesun macrumors newbie

I have been using a mac for about a year and overall am happy with it. When using a PC in the past, I would organize my pictures in file folders by year and then by month. My husband backs up our pictures on an external hard drive (I don't use time machine) and we're finding the way iPhoto stores the pictures to be "messy" since it does it according to import date rather than file date.

I know that if I go to the original file in my library and move stuff around (in order to "clean it up") that iPhoto cannot find the pictures anymore and takes me to where it originally was. I did a test run on about 3 pictures.

Is there a way to change the way iPhoto organizes the actual files? Or am I going to just have to clean the folders up once they are on the external hard drive?

Thanks!
    angie

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

There is never a need to go into the library in finder. No need to "clean up" -- that is the windows way and not the mac way. iPhoto organizes your photos for you -- you don't need to know what the underlying structure is. Just organize them in iPhoto (app) however you like by albums, smart albums, folders, etc. and leave the library alone. Changing anything in that library will certainly cause iPhoto to not be able to do its job, and will render itself useless. To make a backup on your external, you can simply copy over the entire iPhoto library to that external and you will have everything you need.

Or you can export folders, events or whatever from within the app to your desktop, and then copy those to your external. Just don't do anything to/with your photos from within the library in finder.

3. JavierP macrumors regular

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner (Free soft) to sync the library on the HDD with the external drive, so that you don't have to backup everything everytime

4. ilovethesun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I understand that iPhoto is meant to organize for me and that I don't need to worry about the files. My husband, however, is not a mac user and would like to store our photo files on an external hard drive in a more organized fashion. Since I organize them in iPhoto by month for events, the idea of dragging a month to my desktop is probably the best way for me to do it.

Thanks!
    angie

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It looks like there is no choice but to look for a new husband.

/Jim