iPhoto '09 Faces Export question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So I was using Faces to tag my photos last night (side note: not terribly impressed, but it's better than nothing) and I was wondering if there is a way to make iPhoto export the cropped face of all the photos of a named person.

Essentially get all the little thumbnails used for the scrubbing feature in the main faces page (I assume those files are located in the iPhoto package somewhere, now that I think about it... I guess the question is can I get them in a larger size and perhaps with a user selected "radius" around the detected face).

Any suggestions welcomed. :)

2. Josephkyles macrumors regular

I have the same question and haven't been able to find an answer.

3. cpr2102 macrumors newbie

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? It would be very useful.

4. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

My guess is those thumbnails are stored somewhere. I know iPhoto is a library file, but you can actually open that file up and see the contents, I would search in there for small little files and see what you come up with.

5. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Photos are stored in a file called thumbjpgsegment.data - you have to right click on the iphoto library file, select "browse package data" and then you can navigate to this file containing all the thumbnails. However, I was not able to open or browse the file, not sure how you would extract stuff from it. :)

6. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

You can generate thumbnails, but they are not going to be the faces, they will be the full picture. Select the files you want to make thumnails for, then file - export photos. Go to the "Web Page Tab" and select the options you would like.

When you click export, iPhoto will export the photo AND a thumbnail. You can then delete the photos and just keep the thumbnails if you like.