Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khabbi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Recently purchased a new Macbook 2.4 (a week ago) to compliment my iMac, and I decided to upload my 20K+ photo's to it so I could have my photo library to work with while I traveled.

The problem I am having is this- As soon as I open Iphoto, the faces "working" icon starts turning to show that it is working... on what, I have no idea, since I have not accessed it nor have I asked it to look for any faces (nor do I plan on doing this on my Macbook, that's why I have my iMac). I let it run, and everything seems to run fine at first, but if I let it chug along for more than 30 min. or so, it bogs down my computer and will eventually lock up Iphoto. It does it more quickly if I try to open a folder in iphoto after I've let it run for a while.

I kept iphoto open for a few hours hoping it would complete whatever it was trying to do, but it wouldn't end in a few hours of working, and would freeze up iphoto if I tried to do anything in it.

I did a search, and didn't find an answer on this forum or on the net. This is a flaw in iPhoto if you ask me, why force it to work when the user doesn't want it to.. nor do I need it to! I have to admit that I am relatively new to Apple, and am surprised that they programmed Iphoto this way...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

rpang

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
So Cal...
This also happened to me when I imported a ton of photos onto my macbook. It was annoying because when iPhoto is running, faces was eating up CPU cycles while scanning for faces. I just rebuilt the iPhoto library and it fixed it. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard while opening iPhoto to do a rebuild. It solved my issue.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I had over 20,000 photos. Faces took somewhere between 4-9 hours (I forget). I have a MacBook Pro, so a slower computer may take longer. It will continue to do it until it's done (and then incrementally when you import photos).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.