iPhoto 09 Faces Re-Scan?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by covertsurfer, Aug 4, 2009.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

I installed iPhoto09 and it was doing the faces scan but then the power went. When I opened iPhoto it said there were no faces on the corkboard and I have to manually do it.

Is there a way to get iPhoto to re-scan my photos?

2. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

When Faces initially sets up, it creates a few database files in the user's iPhoto library and then scans through the photos, tagging face patterns. Unfortunately Apple does not provide an option to re-scan the library for faces, so if this does not work the first time, users will have these three options:

* Manually add Faces For each photo, users can select it and click the "Names" button on the bottom toolbar to bring up the Faces editor. If faces are found on the image they will display with squares around them and places to tag them, but if not users can "Add a missing face" and manually outline a face and tag it. iPhoto should then use this data in future face recognitions.

* Reimport the library The library may have been improperly imported, in which case it is best to quit iPhoto and replace the library with a recent backup (preferably done before updating). Then launch iPhoto again and the library should be updated again.

* Remove the Faces database The Faces databases are files located in the iPhoto library. Users having problems with the initial scans can try removing these files by right-clicking on the iPhoto library in the Finder and selecting "Show Package Contents...". Then remove the "faces.db" and "faces_blob.db" files and restart the program. This should cause iPhoto to rescan the library for faces again.