iPhoto 09 is changing orientation upon import

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tedesco24, Aug 29, 2014.

1. tedesco24 macrumors member

As I'm importing my photos into iPhoto 09, my images are being changed to landscape mode. The problem is that many of these pics were taken in portrait mode, so I need to manually correct them. And once I rotate them, it is changing the metadata, creating a new file with an updated modified date and storing it in the Modified folder. This is a problem because:
    1. it's a real time killer to manually rotate the photos
    2. it's messing with my metadata, and I'm pretty anal about that stuff being true
    3. it's a waste of storage space, creating a modified file when one really shouldn't be created.

So how do I get iPhoto to import my pics in the orientation they were shot?

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the 09 version of the program, but it sounds like it is ignoring the tag that your camera puts on Photos meant to be viewed in portrait.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I use iPhoto09. I also thought that it might be a camera setting. I have my camera set so that Portrait photos show on the camera's LCD vertical rather than horizontal. So, I turned that option off, but iPhoto still showed them vertical rather than landscape.

Have you always had this problem?

4. tedesco24 thread starter macrumors member

Dave. I just started paying attention to how iPhoto is handling my pictures. In the past I just imported everything into Events and went on my way. But I've decided to get some order in my iPhoto library and noticed this. It's confusing because my photos are all properly oriented everywhere else but iPhoto. For instance, I transfer my photos into a desktop folder and then move the folder into iPhoto, an external drive and the cloud. When I look at the pics in this folder, everything is ok. So I'm at a loss why iPhoto is setting every import in horizontal landscape?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Have you tried importing direct from your camera into iPhoto?